Topic Sponsor

Rear ABS Light On

Old 12-26-2015, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear ABS Light On

1992 F150 Super Cab, Inline 6-4.9, 5 Speed Manual

I was driving in heavy rain and applied my brakes somewhat hard.........the rear wheels went from pavement, slid over a metal sewage drain, and back on to pavement. At that time the Rear ABS light went on. The brakes are working fine though.

Wondering if there is anything wrong or not. Do not know if the Rear ABS light will reset or not, or if I can reset it.

Brake fluid level is fine. If I need to replace parts, I would like to know if this truck has both an ABS Module and an ABS Sensor on the differential.

IF there is an ABS Mobule, where is it located?

If there is a diagram of these parts, better yet
Old 12-26-2015, 07:47 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Module is behind the glove box. Black rectangular thing. It the Vss on the rear diff, the speed sensor on the trans all feed to the speedo unit.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I care about originality and keeping the trucks running right but I wouldn't mind much to just scrap it all together if it is giving issues because it is just rear abs after all. I don't really understand the purpose. But anyways if you are looking for the components there is also a hydraulic control unit on the driver side frame rail near the transmission. At least there is on my 96.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:53 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by meppwc
1992 F150 Super Cab, Inline 6-4.9, 5 Speed Manual

I was driving in heavy rain and applied my brakes somewhat hard.........the rear wheels went from pavement, slid over a metal sewage drain, and back on to pavement. At that time the Rear ABS light went on. The brakes are working fine though.

Wondering if there is anything wrong or not. Do not know if the Rear ABS light will reset or not, or if I can reset it.

Brake fluid level is fine. If I need to replace parts, I would like to know if this truck has both an ABS Module and an ABS Sensor on the differential.

IF there is an ABS Mobule, where is it located?

If there is a diagram of these parts, better yet
your cluster says “rear” ABS ?
Old 01-05-2016, 09:47 AM

It is fixed now.........once things dried up from the heavy rain the Rear ABS went out and has not turned back on
Old 01-10-2016, 09:47 AM
Drives an Old Ford Truck

1995 F150 4X4 XLT Supercab. 5.0 V8. Brand new brakes/rotors up front a year ago. 60 days ago tires were rotated. Right front caliper was removed for inspection and to secure a clip that was coming off. Since then brake pedal has been "spongy" and I no longer have the solid braking I had before rotating the tires. Checked fluid level and added roughly 8 oz. No fix. Still driving the truck but ability to stop has been compromised. Rolled through a stop sign at 25 mpg speeds yesterday while applying the brake. Any ideas from you fine folks? ABS light was on friday. But stayed off yesterday. Today is 1/10/2016 George PGH, PA
Old 01-10-2016, 01:06 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by mckayg
1995 F150 4X4 XLT Supercab. 5.0 V8. Brand new brakes/rotors up front a year ago. 60 days ago tires were rotated. Right front caliper was removed for inspection and to secure a clip that was coming off. Since then brake pedal has been "spongy" and I no longer have the solid braking I had before rotating the tires. Checked fluid level and added roughly 8 oz. No fix. Still driving the truck but ability to stop has been compromised. Rolled through a stop sign at 25 mpg speeds yesterday while applying the brake. Any ideas from you fine folks? ABS light was on friday. But stayed off yesterday. Today is 1/10/2016 George PGH, PA
Sounds like a bunch of air got in the system when the caliper was removed. I'd bleed the entire system before driving again and fill the reservoir up to the max level and see how that works. It's the cheapest fix that should be done if it hasn't been done in the last 2-3 years anyways. There is a good thread on here called "Bleeding Brakes by Yourself" or something of the like.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mckayg
Your brakes are compromised and you are still driving it?

Here is the link for bleeding the brakes by yourself. Chris_1 is very knowledgeable about these old F150s and here is his thread.

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/bleedi...urself-302829/
Old 01-11-2016, 07:03 AM
Drives an Old Ford Truck

Default Spongy brakes

The truck is a good Ol' truck and is "not" my daily driver. I drive the truck once a week, if even. And her primary responsibility is to pull my boat. and since I have a truck. I like to maintain it. And I sure as hell want it to stop when the brake pedal is applied.

Bought the truck from a neighbor for $1,600 cash when he lost his job. I've got $600 worth of Cooper Mud Claw tires, a tune up, replaced hubs with warn locking hubs, and upper/lower ball joints up front. Roughly another $1,000 into it. And with that I have a 4X4 truck that hauls ***!

She does drive much much nicer than my 2002 Taurus...

Thanks for the advice. I have a trusted mechanic that will bleed the system asa I get her there.

George
Pittsburgh
Old 01-16-2016, 08:32 AM
Drives an Old Ford Truck

Update:

Rear line was rusted and broken. Shooting a geyser to the ceiling with each push on brake pedal. Shop replaced the line and installed new brake cylinders for the drums. Truck not only stops on a dime but seems to give change too...

George
Pittsburgh
95 F150 XLT Supercab
5.0 V8

-Now to find someone to remove leaky oil pan and install a replacement with gasket. Currently getting 120 miles per quart...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear ABS Light On