Topic Sponsor

Radius arm replacement warning!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radius arm replacement warning!

I just figured out an interesting fact I thought I should share with everyone. I watched some videos of people removing their radius arms before I started mine. There are very few videos out there. The ones I watched had the owners cutting off the nut that resides under the coil spring. I was about to start cutting mine too when I decided to try a sledge on a wrench one last time. I got it to move and got it out. When I did I found out that there is a huge difference between my 4x4 and the 2x4 that was on the video. DO NOT CUT THE NUT OFF! That is not a nut. It is a stud with a nut machined In the middle of it. If you cut it, you will screw yourself. You won't get it off and you will have to drill the remainder of it out of the front end.

I used a lot of pb blaster and a 1 1/16 wrench. Put the wrench on the "nut" then the coil spring cradle, then the convex washer, then the coil spring nut. Make the nut hand tight, and beat away. I used an 8 lb sledge. What sucks is the "nut" is too far down to use an impact socket and impact gun.

I just wanted to share that with everyone and maybe try to help someone avoid costly and time consuming repairs.

Quick Reply: Radius arm replacement warning!