Topic Sponsor

Question about driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about driveshaft

As I have said, I'm putting a six inch lift in my truck. Just piecing everything together. Something I never thought of though is the length of the driveshaft and the carrier bearing. I heard rumor that I need to drop the carrier bearing. If so, how much? And will the driveshaft be a sufficient length with the six inch lift? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:06 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Back to high school - Asquared + Bsquared = Csquared. If you increase A by 6" and B stays the same then C (driveshaft) would need to be longer.
You also have to look at the angle the u-joints are on, too much angle will place a lot of stress on them.
If you drop the hanger bearing 2 to 2 1/2" and adjust the pinion angle with proper shims, then the consideration would be the length of the rear section of the driveshaft.
Lift kits get your truck up in the air, but there's still other things to consider.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:23 AM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

I believe you can buy the drive shaft kit with most lift kits.. Like Chris said there are other things to consider..like extended brake lines too..
Old 07-27-2016, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there is math involved, i was just never any good at it. Hence why i became a ttuck driver lol.
I'm putting an add a leaf in it with 3" lift blocks in the rear. I just purchased the extended brake lines today. I have all the brcakes and shocks and everything. Now it's just the last little bit that I know nothing about. I'll look into the shims for the driveshaft bearing. What is there for driveshaft extensions or do I have to get mine cut and extended?

Quick Reply: Question about driveshaft