Topic Sponsor

New Shocks... What A Difference !

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 08:12 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default New Shocks... What A Difference !

My shocks on my 1991 F-150 XLT Lariat were really getting bad. There is a dry riverbed about 3 miles from my house that has a long bridge over it. When I dove over it at around 50 MPH, it was like riding a pogo stick! The truck literally bounced up and down so bad. I was running Monroe's all the way around. Standard Monroe fluid filled in the front, and Monroe Air Shocks in the rear.

I decided to go with Rancho 5000's this time in the front, And another set of Monroe Matic Air Shocks in the rear. I really like having the air shocks, but I've noticed some oil leaking from them recently, so I pretty much knew they were bad. They held air OK, but rode like crap.

I'm 62 and retired, and was thinking of having it done, but I've done it before, and I live in Arizona, so there are no rusting issues with the bolts and the like. I had to pull the 2 front wheels off, which doesn't get easier as you get older, but everything came off easily, and went back on even easier.

I was able to utilize all of the old air lines and connector fittings, except for putting in new O-Rings at the connections for the Air Shocks themselves. After I completed everything I pumped them up to 60 PSI and went for a ride. Man what a difference! Going over that same bridge at the same speed, (50 MPH), the truck was steady as a rock. The old Air Shocks I removed were leaking oil everywhere, and had all but zero dampening effect.

I'm pretty stiff and sore from the whole ordeal, but it was well worth it! The truck rides like new. Anyway I was pretty proud of myself for still being able to do a job like that being an old fart and all. I took my time and it really paid off. Now I should be good for a long time as far as shocks go.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is awesome, Bill. I always feel good after even a minor fix, but the shocks are a significant project. I'll have to look into that after doing some of the other more urgent things.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:31 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

I have the Monroe gas magnums up front and air shocks in the rear. Sounds like your happy with the Ranchos for the front I'll have to take a look at them. The main highway on my way to work is under construction and the drainage grates are out of whack, sitting maybe three inches lower than the road grade. I feel like the truck wants to changes lanes when I run one of those over.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:04 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by oldsournote
That is awesome, Bill. I always feel good after even a minor fix, but the shocks are a significant project. I'll have to look into that after doing some of the other more urgent things.

I wouldn't say the shocks on these trucks are a significant project, probably the easiest swaps I've ever done. Plenty of room to work in, the back I did laying down under the truck and didn't even jack it up. I'd say less than an hour to do all 4 of mine and I had to run air line for the rear.

Quick Reply: New Shocks... What A Difference !