Topic Sponsor

New brakes steaming

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New brakes steaming

I just finished putting a six inch lift in and converting the front end of my truck to the twin I beam 4x4 setup. Yesturday I fished touching everything up, did a quick diy alignment with string. I decided to take it around the block and drive over a couple rock gardens at the church next door (no plants, just boulders, I didn't wreck anything there).
However, my main concern is when I parked it back in the driveway, the right side brakes on the front were steaming. The brakes worked great but I'm not sure if they are releasing properly or what? I didn't see any fluid on anything and to be honest, it almost smelt like antifreeze. I could be wrong on that, I'd have to do it again to know for sure. But I touched my fingers to the rotors and they both felt equally as hot, hot enough I could only put my fingers on them for 2 to 3 seconds.
Anyways. Any input would be appreciated. I did put new pads on and I think the right side might have got a little wet before I installed them. But I am not sure if the pads retain moisture or would be effected like this a month after they are installed.

Thanks for the help
Old 10-04-2016, 08:05 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Three problems I've run into with front brake jobs - the caliper piston sticks in its newly retracted position, the caliper slides hang up, and the rotors weren't cleaned properly after smudging things up during the pad change. Wouldn't think moisture would be a problem, but that is another possibility.

Depending on how ambitious you are - could tear into everything and inspect, or maybe just cautiously drive additional short distances long enough to heat the brakes up and see whether the problem clears up.

Quick Reply: New brakes steaming