Topic Sponsor

Lower coil spring mount part#?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower coil spring mount part#?

Hey all. Last weekend I swapped out the rotor/hub assemblies, bearings/seals/races on the front axles of my 1992 F150 XLT RWD 5.0. I have a new set of variable rate springs to throw in too but I twisted off the head of the bolt holding in the retainer clip in the top mount and in looking at the long bolt that holds the lower part of the spring into the radius arm there's so much rust there that when I finally get this thing out it prolly aint going back in. Rockauto doesn't mention it anywhere in the list of available parts so either I'm not calling it the right thing in searching or it's just not there. Which brings me to my question. What is the official name of the long (maybe 8 inches?) bolt that comes up through everything and holds that lower spring keeper cup, as well as the keeper cup? Extra points for a part number?

Also, is there an inexpensive way to get full parts diagrams for my truck or is my only choice paying the four hundred bucks for the "Bishko" one that rockauto and amazon sells?

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:25 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Checkout LMC truck they have breakout diagrams for almost everything. I would avoid ordering things from them if you can because they are REALLY expensive. You are looking for 8 and 9 I believe.

The following 2 users liked this post by BLDTruth:
Dashworth (07-11-2020), DerCribben (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 04:57 PM

Wow, that's great! You just solved both my issues. Thanks!
Old 11-03-2015, 08:43 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You'd be surprised at how strong that original bolt is. You'll need some heat - lots of it.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:10 AM

It looks like a pretty massive bolt. I figure it'll come out but once it's out those threads are pretty beggared with rust so replacing them is gonna let me put it back in afterwards and just an all around good idea anyway. I'll likely order a set for each side of 2-9 on that diagram above (already got 3, the springs), plus a new set of shocks. As BLDTruth mentioned though, I prolly wont be buying those shocks from LMC, considering the average price for most of the shocks sold on rockauto are $17-$30(each) and on LMC they're $40-$45(each).
Old 11-09-2015, 07:48 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You don't pull the bolt to change the springs. Just remove the nut and spring retainer.
There is another nut under the spring seat that holds the radius arms. If you think getting the top nut off is hard, wait'll you try and remove the lower one and the bolt.

Quick Reply: Lower coil spring mount part#?