Topic Sponsor

Looks like axle pivot bushings are in my future. Anything I'm missing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 11:42 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Looks like axle pivot bushings are in my future. Anything I'm missing?

It's a 94 4x4. From what I've read it's as "simple" as jacking it up and getting the frame on jack stands, remove the springs, support the hub on a jack or something, unbolt the bushing bolt, pry the arm down and fight the old bushings out. Installation opposite of removal. Sound correct?
Old 12-29-2016, 09:24 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Pretty much it. Getting the bushings out will be very hard. I read where someone used a big natural gas line cap (big enough for the bushing to be pulled into) with a hole through the center and some threaded rod and washers etc.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:28 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

This one is in my future too - form what I have read if you can re-use the metal sleeves that the OEM bushings are in your life will be much easier. I bought the poly bushings with the sleeves just in case. I'm gonna do the job at a friends house who has a ball joint press and air chisel - should make the job easier theoretically.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:50 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
This one is in my future too - form what I have read if you can re-use the metal sleeves that the OEM bushings are in your life will be much easier. I bought the poly bushings with the sleeves just in case. I'm gonna do the job at a friends house who has a ball joint press and air chisel - should make the job easier theoretically.
<br />Exactly what I've gathered as well. I'll be going with poly bushings with hopes that the metal sleeve will just stay where it's at.