Topic Sponsor

Leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leveling kit

1995 150 xlt, 5.0

Thinking about a leveling kit. What should I do. Spacers or taller springs? Don't really know too much about suspension.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:27 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

A set of moog cc824 springs should do the trick. Its a pretty common upgrade. A full camber bushing alignment will ne necessary afterwards regardless if you do spacers or springs, and will cost more than he springs/spacers themselves.

Beautiful truck!
Old 12-27-2016, 10:45 AM

Thanks! I'm doing my ball joints soon anyway so I figure now is probably the best time to do it. Do you mind if I ask what the difference is between doing spacers or springs?
Old 12-27-2016, 11:28 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

If you are doing ball joints, then you should probably look into doing your inner and outer wheel bearings and wheel seals, spindle hub bearings and seals, outer tie rods, and axle shaft u-joints. You will be in there so you might as well. Also replacing anything that requires an alignment afterwards would be a wise idea, since you will have to do an alignment anyways after the springs and ball joints - so inner tie rods, radius arm bushings, TTB pivot bushings would be on my list too. If your front diff is leaking or needs service now would be the time to pull the pumpkin since you are in there.

I have never run spacers. I have the cc824 springs listed above and I love them. They are $70 shipped on amazon. For the money you get brand new springs and an extra 1-1.5" of height. They will be slightly stiffer than stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Moog-CC824-Co...keywords=cc824
Old 12-27-2016, 11:50 AM

Yeah, that's the plan. I've already done the tie rods although I made the mistake of buying the cheapest possible. I got me some new moog ball joints and am fixin to do u joints, moog 377. I read somewhere that the passenger axle shaft does not come out without dropping the pumpkin. Can I do the inner u joint on the truck do you think? And I saw those on Amazon but read a review that they were rougher than stock, kinda what you said. I just mostly make hardware store runs and an occasional load of dirt.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:35 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Super nice truck. Love the color.

That said, it's a 4x4. Get some real tires on there and I bet it will be much more level than you think. Looks like you have 235s on there now? 31x10.5 should be the stock size for that truck. It'll definitely lift the front end up some. That's the first thing I'd do before getting a lift. Then if you still think you need it go with the Moog springs. That's my opinion anyway.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:19 AM

swung by costco today and got a quote for some bigger tires. 600 bucks. :/ but i agree it would look way better. Gonna hold off on the leveling. just gonna do the ball joints and bearings and whatnot
Old 01-09-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Truck looks to be sitting pretty good the way it is anyway.