Topic Sponsor

Inner tie rod too long

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Inner tie rod too long

I have a 1995 f150 4x4 5.8L which has always pulled left, every shop I take it to says that its tired. I decided to replace the tie rods (inner and outer) and drag link and do the alignment myself. I removed the old assembly intact so I could take the measurement and transfer them to the new assembly. I noticed right away that the old inner tie rod was modified (someone had heated it up and bent a offset into it close to the point it ties into the drag link.) it is about 1-1/2 " shorter than the new component. I decided to cut the inner and outer to shorten the overall length to match the old one put it together have a slight toe out situation on the left side with no more adjustment available. To make matters worse I think the power steering unit is failing...on the test drive the steering doesn't go back into a neutral position after a turn and is supper sensitive when I move the wheel left and right.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:19 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Something's not right here. If you bought a new inner tie rod that is the correct one for your truck, you should never have to mess with the length of any of the pieces. So if you bought 3 new pieces, I'm guessing the 4th one is the wrong one, which is probably what caused the problem in the first place (somebody bent a piece to make it fit in to a piece that shouldn't have been there) maybe ?
Old 06-06-2015, 04:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The passenger side inner tie rod is suppose to have a bend where it connects to the driver side inner tie rod so that it clears the pitman arm grease fitting.

Name:  ForumRunner_20150606_154719.png
Views: 3597
Size:  368.7 KB

L

Quick Reply: Inner tie rod too long