Topic Sponsor

I-beam bushing install

Old 06-01-2016, 04:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default I-beam bushing install

Hello hello! How many out there have done this job? I have the old bushings out and would like to know the best way to get the new ones back in?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mike
Old 06-01-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Ball joint press.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:20 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

I put Energy Suspension polyurethane pivot bushings in mine. Simple as all hell. The Energy bushings re-use the outer race from the stock bushing, so no press needed. I took a knife to cut out the old rubber bushing from the metal race, then used a torch to melt away the little bits of rubber leftover, applied a little lube to the race and the poly bushing and was literally able to slide in the new poly bushing by hand.

Between the ease of install of the Energy bushings, and how much they firmed my front end up, I'd say go for those over stock replacements.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:05 PM

I wound up using the ball joint press. I did fine with a 2' breaker bar to get it 1/2 way I then had to use air impact.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:27 PM

What all has to come off before you can get to replacing the pivot bushings?
Old 06-10-2016, 07:01 AM

For myself I pulled all as one unit. Remove bracket or spring keeper at top of spring. I think it was 1/2". Removed brake caliper. Pulled lower shock mount. Remove tie rod. Place jack pretty much under spring. Remove radius arm nut and pivot arm bolt. It took me about 1&1/2 hours per side to remove and about the same to put back.

Someone may have a better way. I found a you tube video and followed the procedure.

I think my radius arm bushing was fine but I changed anyway. After doing this job I would have to look at pulling the hub off and replacing ball joint and putting an adjustable caster camber kit. It might be a little easier getting the I beam bolt back in that way. Do not torque pivot bolt until truck is on ground.

I hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I-beam bushing install