Topic Sponsor

Help! Master Cylinder switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 08:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help! Master Cylinder switch

I am replacing the master cylinder and had to use my old resivior. I am bench bleeding right now and just as I get it about done I hear an air hiss and somehow air is getting back into the MC. What could introduce air back into the system if both plugs are snug? I am another 4 beers from throwing this thing through autozones front window. I hope I am screwing it up and didn't get a busted up reman.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:50 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Not trying to be mean but autozone has crap parts (duralast) and I wouldn't trust a brand new one for my brakes let alone a reman. I wish I had more experience with MC's and could help you but I don't so I'll end with that.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:16 AM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I was actually just watching a video on bench bleeding (just because) and the guy mentioned to not push the piston too far forward because of the [possible] age of them sitting on the shelf at the parts store, you could break the seal around the piston and let air in. If that's the case it's trash but like the guy before me, I have no experience just a lot of YouTube time Good luck.

I'll second crap parts at Auto zone. If not RockAuto at least go to Napa, Carquest or Oreilly.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I ended up making a soapy water solution and rubbing it around the MC. Turns out the resivior gasket was seated wrong from the factory. I had to drain the resivior and pull off the resivior then with a flathead and some needle nose I had to jimmy it in place. It sealed right up and it's on the truck. All tests went good down the driveway so I took it out on the road and it worked great. So nice to finally have decent brakes!

I'm with you guys on autozone. This time around around though they had the same MC/brake booster as rockauto and I found a 20% code online. Man's gotta save beer money!

Quick Reply: Help! Master Cylinder switch