Topic Sponsor

HELP! manual hubs screws broke

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! manual hubs screws broke

I drive a 1995 F-150 xlt with a 351. The truck was purchased for $2500 so I could teach myself mechanics and have something to work on...
I need to replace my tires and I figured while I'm at it, i'de do my breaks and rotors too. However, when I tried to remove the machine screws, three of them snapped inside the threads!
I took it to the shop to save myself the headache but they quoted me $700! That's only off they can turn the rotors! If they replace them (like I planned on doing) it's more in the $900 range.... And with new tires on top of that, I'm looking at $1600.
Is there a way to take the screws out myself? Or is $1600 worth saving myself the headache???(not my first choice) I would like to get this done before it snows up here in SD.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:12 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyler221
I drive a 1995 F-150 xlt with a 351. The truck was purchased for $2500 so I could teach myself mechanics and have something to work on...
I need to replace my tires and I figured while I'm at it, i'de do my breaks and rotors too. However, when I tried to remove the machine screws, three of them snapped inside the threads!
I took it to the shop to save myself the headache but they quoted me $700! That's only off they can turn the rotors! If they replace them (like I planned on doing) it's more in the $900 range.... And with new tires on top of that, I'm looking at $1600.
Is there a way to take the screws out myself? Or is $1600 worth saving myself the headache???(not my first choice) I would like to get this done before it snows up here in SD.

well you got two options, both suck. drill them out and tap new threads or drill a hole in the broken section, heat it, and run and extractor in there to retrieve the broken piece. Hell of a first project, hope you have the tools if not harbor freight is the place for cheap tap and dies as well as extractors. probably run you close to $150 for a tap and die set, and extractor set. If the heats not helping to much try getting it hot and applying bees wax to the threads to aid a lubricant or just regular pb blaster or wd-40. Pics would be cool to. $700 is actually a decent price but i'm sure you could find a shade tree mechanic to do it cheaper.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:12 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Or just replace the hubs for less than $100?

Unless I'm missing something? The hubs will still come out either way if it's the cap screw's that broke in the hub. Get them out, go to Oreilly or Advance and get some Mile Marker hubs. Install. Profit.

Last edited by VickMacky; 10-07-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Houbezra
well you got two options, both suck. drill them out and tap new threads or drill a hole in the broken section, heat it, and run and extractor in there to retrieve the broken piece. Hell of a first project, hope you have the tools if not harbor freight is the place for cheap tap and dies as well as extractors. probably run you close to $150 for a tap and die set, and extractor set. If the heats not helping to much try getting it hot and applying bees wax to the threads to aid a lubricant or just regular pb blaster or wd-40. Pics would be cool to. $700 is actually a decent price but i'm sure you could find a shade tree mechanic to do it cheaper.
Well it would be $700 for standard labor. And pArts. They couldn't give me an estimate on how long it would take to remove the machine screws around the hub.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by VickMacky
Or just replace the hubs for less than $100?

Unless I'm missing something? The hubs will still come out either way if it's the cap screw's that broke in the hub. Get them out, go to Oreilly or Advance and get some Mile Marker hubs. Install. Profit.
I'm confused. My hubs aren't broke. I don't see why I would replace them when I can just get new screws?? What am I not understanding?
Thank you for your opinions so far
Old 10-07-2014, 07:51 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyler221
I'm confused. My hubs aren't broke. I don't see why I would replace them when I can just get new screws?? What am I not understanding?
Thank you for your opinions so far
I think the point was, why spend so much money on labor when you can replace them for a much lower price. Then you would have a spare set if anything happened to the new ones. Plus the old set would be good for learning how to do maintenance on them.......like removing broken bolts. You said you bought this truck to learn how to fix your rig. Sounds like the perfect oportunity.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:53 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Oh and while you're at Harbor Freight, look for some left handed drill bits. It will make your life easier when trying to remove broken bolts/studs.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:50 PM

It's not my first project. I replaced the TPS a couple months ago. And I've grounded out a big patch of rust and filled it. Lol
I will check out the tap/dye sets and see what new hubs cost. I bought the truck with almost 200k on it so I was hoping to replace the shocks, control arms, ball joints, and the rest of the front end but jeez this is getting crazy lol.
The engine bay has a high pitch squeaking that starts and stops a lot. I thought it was a belt but it's new. So I guess I'll try the idler pulley....
Old 10-07-2014, 09:17 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Manuellabour247
I think the point was, why spend so much money on labor when you can replace them for a much lower price. Then you would have a spare set if anything happened to the new ones. Plus the old set would be good for learning how to do maintenance on them.......like removing broken bolts. You said you bought this truck to learn how to fix your rig. Sounds like the perfect oportunity.
Exactly! Dig them out if you can but don't spend $700+ on stuff you don't need when an $80 set of hubs will get you rolling.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:16 PM

Fair point lol. I think I'm going to try the tap and dye first. And if that doesn't work, I'll just cut the f***ing end of the axel off and replace it all lol

Quick Reply: HELP! manual hubs screws broke