Topic Sponsor

Help!!!!

Old 10-26-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help!!!!

To start Ive Got a 94 XLT F150-4x4 5.0 xcab...107k miles.....Ive got this intermittent loud popping noise coming from the drivers side front end. Here's the weird thing - it only happens when Im taking off from a stoplight or stopped in general. If im easy on the gas pedal it won't do it but hard acceleration with the front end rising up it goes pop pop pop and its only on the drivers side in the front end somewhere. Does not matter if Im turning or in a straight line. Another weird thing its quiet as a mouse when going over road humps or speed bumps and stiff dips or even off roadn its freakn silent. Its just WACKY! Only from a stop with a Happy Gas Pedal is when it happens. My gut has me thinking a loose or worn shock or shocks.

Last edited by jonesn64; 10-26-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Just thinking out loud here. If it was a loose or worn shock, I think it would be making a lot more noise, espcecially off-roading. But then again most of things that I would tell you to check (springs and mounts, sway bar bushings and links, shocks and mounts, radius arm bushings and brackets, axle pivot bushings, ball joints, tie rods) would probably be making a lot more noise doing any of the activities you described.

Are you sure it's suspension related?
Old 10-26-2015, 10:57 PM

When I gas it and the front end elevates upward it makes that popping noise. Thats why Im leaning towards the drivers side suspension. The passenger side of the truck is not making this noise. Its directly in front of me the driver. It only occurs when gassed hard not on gentle take offs. I live in Charlotte and have to red neck it from time to time get where I need to get in traffic. Lota a holes round that wont let you over so I just force my way in!
Old 10-27-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

I'd jack up the front on the driver's side and start wiggling things. Put the jack under the big bolt where the radius arm meets the axle. Once it is secure with a jack stand grab the tire at 9 and 3 and see if there is any play (tie rods). Put a crowbar or something that can give leverage under the tire and try to lift the tire off of the ground farther (ball joints). Pull the tire off and check your shocks, springs and mounts. Make sure your sway bar and mounts are tight. Check the radius arm brackets and bushings. There are so many causes of front end noise on these trucks....
Old 10-29-2015, 09:55 PM

Thanks BLD! Ill give it a lookie look when I get a moment..........
Old 02-20-2016, 08:39 AM

Just thought I'd update this thread! No more loud popping niose in the front end anymore!!!! I did absolutely nothing. It must have just needed to be driven as the truck was abused by sitting for long periods of time. The guy I bought it from only put 9k on it in 2 years. More than that with me! Thanks for the replies on this thread folks!
Old 02-20-2016, 03:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would still check the radius arms over carefully. my old F250 did the same thing for a while, and a couple years down the road the left front radius arm broke. fortunately it happened in a parking lot at about 2 mph.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help!!!!