Topic Sponsor

Front Bumper moves slighty when steering?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Bumper moves slighty when steering?

So I've been having some sloppy steering/wandering issues with my '92 F-150. I popped the hood and had someone turn the steering wheel. The front bumper on the drives side moves slightly up and down when turning. The drivers side frame rail also flexes a little. What causes this? Is it safe?
Old 05-26-2015, 05:18 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Check the rivets on the engine crossmember while the wheel is being turned.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:07 PM

I couldn't see any issue there.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:30 PM

Ok, well.. your frame should not do that. No it doesn't sound safe, it sounds like a serious issue trying to happen. Generally, the frames do not flex and the bumpers don't move when you turn the wheel.
Something, somewhere in your frame setup is not as it should be. You have to find it, only so that your frame doesn't keep flexing to the point where something lets go. Not too bad if it happens at 5 miles an hour, but at 60 things could get real bad real fast.
You have 2 frame rails and a bunch of crossmembers that keep them in line, so something's not doing what it once did.
Check every rivet on there (rivets can be ground off or drilled out and replaced with grade 8 bolts), check both frame rails real carefully for cracks or heavy rust out.
Something's missing somewhere, you just have to find it and fix it.
It's been done before, people have had issues with their frames before, most things can be fixed fairly easily. Finding the reason is usually the hardest part.
The following users liked this post:
Chris Gallagher (06-27-2023)
Old 05-26-2015, 08:07 PM

I have been under the truck all afternoon and tapped and checked everywhere. Both frame rails have some surface rust but I don't see any place where the integrity could be compromised. I will have to dig further another day and see what I can find. I just hope it can be fixed and isn't too extensive damage.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:56 AM

For starters, it looks like the rubber bushing in the pitman arm is completely gone. I hear a clunking noise every time the wheel is turned. It looks loose. Could this play a part in the wandering?

Also the top of the engine cradle on the drivers side...right where it mounts to the frame rail looks like it may be seperated. There's not a large separation...but there is a small gap.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:17 PM

The pitman arm is one solid piece of metal so the rubber 'bushing' is maybe part of the center link that attaches to it. That end on the center link is probably worn out and the center link will require replacing. That could definitely cause play in the steering.
The engine crossmember (cradle) should be tightly attached to the frame. If there's a space, it will allow the frame to flex.
It sounds like it isn't tight on the driver's side and frame is flexing on the driver's side.
I don't think that would be a coincidence.
There are usually bolts holding the crossmember to the frame rail right there. It could be as simple as tightening or replacing (Grade 8 bolts only) those bolts. I don't know off hand what size they are.
This is not a put down or anything, but if you really don't know what you're looking at on the steering on your truck, it may be a good idea to get a mechanic's opinion on the overall condition of your steering and ball joints. You can probably figure out or learn how to replace things yourself, but a professional opinion from someone who's standing there looking at things would be money well-spent ($40 ?)
Things get out of control real fast if any of the steering components let go.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:55 PM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

I had a similar situation on my truck. Turned out to be a sheared rivet that allowed the frame to flex away from the front crossmember. This wasnt visible if the steering didnt have a load. About 2 hours of work and a $3.69 grade 8 9/16" bolt and nut made a huge difference in the driveability. There is a ford service bulletin for the exact procedure.
Old 06-27-2023, 12:02 PM

I had the same problem with my 96 Ford f150 4x4 and the frame rail was cracked behind the steering box need to investigate remove steering box and start looking for cracks or if completely broken
Old 06-27-2023, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Firebirdman55
So I've been having some sloppy steering/wandering issues with my '92 F-150. I popped the hood and had someone turn the steering wheel. The front bumper on the drives side moves slightly up and down when turning. The drivers side frame rail also flexes a little. What causes this? Is it safe?
frame rail is broken or cracked behind the steering box same thing happened to my 96 Ford I repaired and and welded a l channel to both inside frame rail to help

Quick Reply: Front Bumper moves slighty when steering?