Topic Sponsor

Front brakes/wheel bearings 95 F150 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Front brakes/wheel bearings 95 F150 2WD

I'm fixing to change the front brakes and maybe rotors on my 95 F150 2WD (130K miles) and was thinking about inspecting/repacking the wheel bearings. Any advice before I jump in or anything else I should do while I have the wheels off? Since they're not much $ I was thinking about just replacing with new ones.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

just replace the bearings and the seals as well
Old 10-09-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was recommended also to change the wheel bearings while I'm in there changing the rotors.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:28 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Cant hurt. There's a little bearing packing tool you can pick up for about $15 that works with your grease gun. Highly recommended
Old 10-14-2014, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little tip to help get off the inner seal in the rotor hub. Remove outer bearing and put rotor back on. Thread only the axle nut back on a few rounds and hold rotor straight up and down. Push rotor all the way back and thrust it towards you in one quick motion while holding downward pressure. Inner seal should come out.

You do not need any fancy tools to pack bearings if you have two hands. Get you some latex or nitrile gloves and some disc brake/wheel bearing grease. Plop a good amount on the center of your palm on one hand and with the one you are proficient with, hold the larger end of bearing face down with as many fingers you can fit in the middle curled under 'a joke is in there somewhere.' Now quickly "slap" larger end of tampered bearing down flat on the grease, on the palm of your hand and eat away at it from the bottom like pacman would, until grease comes out top of bearing. Rotate bearing and repeat until grease has worked it's way to the top 'smaller end' of bearing all the way around.

Last edited by bluecar5556; 10-14-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:23 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bluecar5556
A little tip to help get off the inner seal in the rotor hub. Remove outer bearing and put rotor back on. Thread only the axle nut back on a few rounds and hold rotor straight up and down. Push rotor all the way back and thrust it towards you in one quick motion while holding downward pressure. Inner seal should come out.

You do not need any fancy tools to pack bearings if you have two hands. Get you some latex or nitrile gloves and some disc brake/wheel bearing grease. Plop a good amount on the center of your palm on one hand and with the one you are proficient with, hold the larger end of bearing face down with as many fingers you can fit in the middle curled under 'a joke is in there somewhere.' Now quickly "slap" larger end of tampered bearing down flat on the grease, on the palm of your hand and eat away at it from the bottom like pacman would, until grease comes out top of bearing. Rotate bearing and repeat until grease has worked it's way to the top 'smaller end' of bearing all the way around.
Yep, I just repacked my bearings a month ago and used my hands. First time I've done it and it worked grea . There are some YouTube videos on how to do it as well.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:09 PM

Received 237 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by bluecar5556

And I thought I was the only one old school....to repack bearings by hand....excellent instruction!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2019, 01:42 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

THREAD FROM THE DEAD!!!!

I have 2 feet & 2 legs; but I'm still not gonna walk when I can drive. And I'm not slapping grease all over the place when a bearing packer is so cheap & effective.

Quick Reply: Front brakes/wheel bearings 95 F150 2WD