Topic Sponsor

Can I actually do a radius arm bushing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 06:46 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Can I actually do a radius arm bushing?

95 2wd 5.0

I got my wheel bearings done at a shop and we talked about replacing the bushings. He said "damn, those are hard to do if you've never done them, we charge 3 hours labor for it!"

But....I've been watching this guy's video. Same year (maybe his is a 94) but same

http://tinyurl.com/qjewhuv

All he did was remove shocks, remove sway bar link remove coil, and then he kinda just "shifted" the ibeam forward. Not hard a all. Some people are telling me I need a strap and a sturdy tree to pull that beam.

So I'm having anxiety if I can actually do this or not.

Anyone else replace this bushing in same year or similar? And was it like in the video where the kid just pulled that ibeam forward?
Old 09-22-2015, 07:11 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

That'll work. Or you can remove the bracket. It's originally riveted on, but it's common practice to grind off/ punch out the rivets and replace them with grade 8 bolts. Then you don't have to remove the spring/shock sway bar etc.
Brackets quite often get replaced because they have rusted. You may even find that it's already been done and then you just undo the bolts and take the bracket off.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
That'll work. Or you can remove the bracket. It's originally riveted on, but it's common practice to grind off/ punch out the rivets and replace them with grade 8 bolts. Then you don't have to remove the spring/shock sway bar etc.
Brackets quite often get replaced because they have rusted. You may even find that it's already been done and then you just undo the bolts and take the bracket off.
Live in SoCal. Dry as a bone down there. Sounds kinda easier to just grind them off. I'll see if some friends have access to one.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
and replace them with grade 8 bolts. Then you don't have to remove the spring/shock sway bar etc.
BTW, what pitch/length/size bolts are these? I can pick them up ahead of time. I found a friend that has a good grinder. Would love to have the bolts ahead of time instead of stopping and going to the store that day.

Quick Reply: Can I actually do a radius arm bushing?