Topic Sponsor

camber bushing adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camber bushing adjustment question

I just got a 1989 f150 and the previous owner put a 4inch lift on it but told me upfront it needs a camber adjustment.

I took it to Big O and the left is out 2.4 degrees and the right is out 1.4 degrees. The guy at Big O said it needs a camber adjustment.

I've done my youtube research but not sure what degree to set the camber bushing to. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:27 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Based on that printout, you are going to need some toe and caster adjustments as well.

Only way to do it yourself is if you know what the current camber bushings are rated at - so if you have a -1 degree bushing, you would then need a bushing that would be even more negative to adjust for the positive camber you are seeing. So for the right, you would need a -2.25 or -2.5 degree bushing.

Then you would need to dial in the toe as well by adjusting the steering linkage.

FWIW I have been thru this process - I bought fancy adjustable camber bushings and spent a day pulling my hair out and trying to get it to work. In the end I took it back to the shop, paid them $150 to install the bushings and align it with their fancy laser machine. A good investment especially if you have tires that you care about.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Based on that printout, you are going to need some toe and caster adjustments as well.

Only way to do it yourself is if you know what the current camber bushings are rated at - so if you have a -1 degree bushing, you would then need a bushing that would be even more negative to adjust for the positive camber you are seeing. So for the right, you would need a -2.25 or -2.5 degree bushing.

Then you would need to dial in the toe as well by adjusting the steering linkage.

FWIW I have been thru this process - I bought fancy adjustable camber bushings and spent a day pulling my hair out and trying to get it to work. In the end I took it back to the shop, paid them $150 to install the bushings and align it with their fancy laser machine. A good investment especially if you have tires that you care about.
BLDTruth- Appreciate the help. They said it would be 100-200 to install the bushing so I figured I'd install the new bushings then take it back to the shop to have them do the rest of the alignment.

Maybe I'll just have them do the whole thing....
Old 11-01-2016, 10:12 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Yes have them do it - get a solid quote up front for bushings, install, and alignment and hold them to it. You will probably get a better deal (and a better overall alignment) from a shop that specializes in trucks or 4WD. It's a bit of a challenge to get these old dana 44 TTB's aligned, so make sure the shop is up to the task.

EDIT - also keep in mind that the truck will need to have had the lift installed correctly with axle drop brackets and either radius arm drop brackets or extended radius arms. Without these, the shop will not be able to align it. I think the most they can go negative with a bushing is about -3.25 degrees. So if you already have -1.5 degree bushings in there, they are going to have a hard time aligning it.

Last edited by BLDTruth; 11-01-2016 at 10:16 AM.