Topic Sponsor

Brake issue (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake issue (HELP)

I'm a longtime reader, but this is my first post - sorry if I make some mistakes. My explaination may be long winded, so bear with me.

I have a 2011 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat 5.0L, about 58k miles. I recently bought the truck used from a Toyota dealer (which may be my first mistake) and the salesman made sure I knew the truck's brake pads had all been replaced. Sounded great to me and I drove truck home that night. Noticed on the 1.5 hr drive home that it pulled slightly to the left, but not enough to be worrisome. Over the next couple days, I made a couple longer trips and realized there was some serious heat and brake dust coming from the front left wheel, not to mention the pleasant burning smell. At this point I was pretty upset due to the fact that I was told my brakes were 'new.' I thought I knew what the problem was (either a sticking caliper or kinked line) so I called the place I got it, read the riot act and got them to pay for the fix at my nearby Ford dealer. Both the caliper and line were replaced and I thought I was happy. I was told to replace my pads and rotors again because during the time I was driving on a locked up caliper, my pads had worn irregularly and my rotors had warped.

After replacing the pads and rotors myself, the problem still hasn't been fixed - still lots of heat, a burning smell, and lots of brake dust. Upon further review, it appears that the back end of the outside pad continuously rubs with the rotor. My guess is that something is bent, but I can't figure out what. New caliper, pads, and rotors, so I can't imagine it's one of those. Could it be the caliper bracket itself? I know that should be able to withstand a tremendous amount of force, but it's just a guess. Could it be something even worse and be as far up as the hub? Has anybody run into a similar problem?

I'd love some help/any ideas.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:52 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

First off your in the 87 thr 96 f-150 section. Second i had a problem like that with my brakes it wound up that the rubber brake hose was bad.

Quick Reply: Brake issue (HELP)