Topic Sponsor

ball joint woes-95 2wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ball joint woes-95 2wheel drive

Hi Gents, I decided to finally do the upper/lower ball joints on my F150 95 2 wheel drive. As I got into the layers all went well: lower ball joint nut, snap ring, tie rod off ETC. Everything wire brushed and soaked with penetrant and I went to loosen the camber sleeve bolt(15mm head) and it snapped. The nut side(right) appears to be welded. So my first idea is to cut and grind it off. I am done for the day and thought I'd check to see if anyone has been down this road. I can't help but notice the bushing and spacer seem very rustled, and I wonder how they will disassemble. Fran
Old 04-15-2014, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ball joint woes over

I had a few breakthroughs this AM and got er done. As it was my first ball joint job I learned a lot. The broken bolt was no big deal, I had assumed it was a unique one, a new bolt of the right size was <$2. It did take a few hours to remove the stud left in the upper ball joint housing but taping with a punch right and left slowly it loosened up and finally was driven out. This whole episode would have been avoided if I had loosened the nut on the right first, it had dried grease around the base and looked like it was welded on to me, putting all the pressure on the bolt head ended with it snapping off. The camber sleeve that looked so bad from the top tapped out with e chisel in about 10 minutes. It cleaned up well and had a one way fin on it that made reassebly easy. The press set Autozone lent me was lacking a few parts and a 1/2' impact driver(electric or air) with a 7/8" socket are mandatory. So all in all it saved a least $100 and the next job will be a lot easier. Hope this helps any new man to this job. Fran
Old 01-02-2019, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine gets stuck ,motor was fried electric, got new one napa 80$ still engages does not come out brake neutral nota locks in 4h 4l lights work manually disengage only way disconect battery gets lights 4h 4l go out after &in2h

Quick Reply: ball joint woes-95 2wheel drive