Topic Sponsor

Anyone with Rancho rs5000?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:33 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Anyone with Rancho rs5000?

I almost bought this at the store last night but they only had 1. Need 2 up front. When I looked at it, it looked like it did in the pics of course. But noticed I couldn't pull it apart. Is that the norm? I remember installing inexpensive shocks that came with zip ties and when I cut it, it started to expand so it can reach the lower bolt.

I can't seem to find instructions on these. I'm guessing to install it I mount the upper bolts, jack up the radius arm, bolt lower and then the weight will extend the shocks. Does that sound right?

1995 F150, 2WD, 5.0L EFI
Old 09-02-2015, 11:03 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Most shocks you can compress by hand with force/weight. They should naturally rebound. If they don't I would take them back and get new ones. But I have no experience with Rancho's.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:56 PM
Wondering Around

Received 212 Likes on 156 Posts

Rancho shocks have digressive vs progressive valving. There are advantages to both and also disadvantages. I personally don't like Rancho's due to the digressive valving as you said the rod stays where you put them instead of extending on their own.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:57 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MT-Ford
Rancho shocks have digressive vs progressive valving. There are advantages to both and also disadvantages. I personally don't like Rancho's due to the digressive valving as you said the rod stays where you put them instead of extending on their own.
Thanks I was able to put them on after learning I needed to tighten the lower bolt first so I have the leverage to put the top. Doing it the other way I couldn't get the lower bolt on because of the angle. Anyway, it was tight and it rides okay.

Next project...turns out at alignment shop, my tie rods are bad and so are the wheel bearings. Ugh. So they couldn't do the alignment. I can probably do the tie rod but not the bearings.
The following users liked this post:
MT-Ford (09-05-2015)

Quick Reply: Anyone with Rancho rs5000?