Topic Sponsor

alignment specs

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alignment specs

anyone got the alignment specs for a 92 f150 4x4 stock? my sisters truck the front tires lean out at the top quite a bit and are starting to wear on the outer edges of the tires. thanks
Old 03-14-2015, 05:34 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Lift springs in the front ? Basically you want to lean them back in to straight. Really by eye is the best way with these trucks I think. Camber changes when you go backwards or forward, or when the truck goes up or down. If you can get them to where the tread sits flat after driving ahead 10 feet, thats pretty good.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dad is starting to think the front coils may have been changed......he stuck a thing on the brake rotor that says the tires are leaning out at top 5 degrees.....it also appears to have 0 degree camber bushing in it now from he has figured out, he wants to check some other bushingss under the front end tho, sis cant drive this truck until its sorted out, just a couiple trips into town is wearing the outside edges of the front tires pretty fast
Old 03-16-2015, 10:00 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

As you put taller springs in, it lifts the inboard (pivot) end of the I beam up, which causes the top of the tire to tip out. So the top of the steering knuckle has to be adjusted closer to the I beam to compensate. Original setup was shims at the upper ball joint, you take one size out, put a different size in. Problem is you need a stock of shims and a lot of patience to do that at home.
Moog adjustable upper ball joints would be the way to go with that. You tune the caster and camber by turning them with a wrench. No shim b.s.
Having the toe in set way too tight will tear off the outside edges of the tires really fast.
I usually set mine so the front of the tires are 1/4" closer together than the back of the tires. Not enough and she'll wander all over, too much and it tears the outside edges of the tires off.

Quick Reply: alignment specs