Topic Sponsor

1996 Need help figuring out a part, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Need help figuring out a part, etc.

So the part in this picture rusted out. This included the brake line, etc. It is the line that comes down from the master cylinder, coils and then goes into this. Does anyone know what the part is called, where to get one, parts number, etc. I have no idea what to call it to search. It might be a junction like this (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-660402) but I'm not sure. I would like to try to do this myself seeing that it rusted through and ruptured in my garage. This is my first truck and first vehicle that I've really worked on so right now I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks for all the help.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:29 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

That's your brake line. The rubber flex line that goes to the caliper has two openings at that rusty spot. The brake line that you see screwed into the side and another one on the other side that the steel brake line that goes over to the passenger side caliper screws in to.
Check how bad things are over at the other side too while you're at it.
The steel lines are standard 3/16" brake lines and the rubber hose is a standard driver's side "flex line".
If you measure how long the steel lines are, you can buy premade ones with the fitting already on them at the parts store.
A line bending tool would be handy so you don't kink the lines and they're not very expensive.
Read up on "bleeding brakes"
The following users liked this post:
Thomas Burdick (10-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 06:40 PM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

I was just looking on Ebay. They have complete kits with new stainle steel lines for $175-$200. By complete kits i mean the steel lines not the rubber lines. The rubber lines are available also.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:26 PM

You can go that way. LMC truck has those too.
If you get the line bending tool, each steel line costs about 3 to 5 dollars at a good auto parts store.
So depends how deep your pockets are, but you can save a lot of money by learning to do things on your own. And you will have learned something.
Perhaps if you have all the pieces you might be able to find someone to help you learn to do it right.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:33 PM

Thank you all very much. I have always wanted a 1996 or before ford f150 and finally got one so it has been a real great time so far. I actually dropped the transmission pan last night, drained the torque converter and put a new pan and filter in (the pan has a drain plug). It felt awesome doing it all myself. However, when I went to put it in reverse to go drive to test out my work, this happened and brake fluid went everywhere. Can't complain. Glad it didn't happen on the road. I also live about 5 miles from Summit Racing so I can probably see what they have. I feel kind of stupid no know it was just the brake line
Old 10-01-2015, 07:45 PM

So I have a auto zone, advanced, o'reilly's, nappa, summit racing all within about 5 miles from me. I looked and would like to replace the line coming down from the master cylinder, the one going to the caliper on both sides and the line going to the passenger side. It looks like everything else has been replaced (not sure why someone didn't do them all). Anyone have any recommendations from any of those places? I will measure the lines and get the ones with ends already on them and learn how to bend myself. Does anyone know what size ends they have are they just standard for what's on a 3/16 line? Also does anyone know how those lines are held in there?
Old 10-01-2015, 08:15 PM

There's a clip on the end of the rubber lines (on the side of the shock tower you can't see in the picture.
Check prices on the lines some places charge a lot and others are more reasonable.
The 2 front steel lines are standard fittings that come on the lines at the flex line end.
Check if the one at the master cylinder is the same.
You will notice that the line from the master cylinder has 3 or 4 loops in it. You have to allow enough line to make those - they are to allow the line to flex (body to frame).
Best to buy several lines and sizes too many in case you mess up. Any lines you don't use can be returned if you keep them clean. (and keep your receipt)
Old 10-01-2015, 08:29 PM

Thanks a bunch Chris for all the help. Really appreciate it.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:22 PM

One more question. Is there a way to disconnect all of these without having the master cylinder drain?
Old 10-07-2015, 10:39 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

good idea replacing all of it..then its over with and you wont have to worry about it..dont worry about the master draining, its likely full of sludge anyway

Quick Reply: 1996 Need help figuring out a part, etc.