Topic Sponsor

What is this., a vacum line or what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this., a vacum line or what?

Posted before but without pic, got camera back so updating. There is hose between some sort of value located behind alternator and runs down to what looks like typical male end for vacuum hose. The line is odd as it has kind of bell shaped end at engine fitting. Hose is covered in weave cloth. The end of hose will slip over engine male fitting as if designed for such, but then steps up to one size large hose to value assy. Then engine side is either plugged up or is not a vacuum valve and supposed to be that way. Experience looking at the engine side says vacuum, but I cannot find one ref anywhere as to what that fitting is supposed to be or what the value does. I highlighted arrow to hose in pic as someone who now what this hose/unit does will recognize it, for me I do not have a clue and less then clue about "unplugging" engine male fitting. So gang, what is ti, F150, 1993, 5.0 see pic for further data.
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2015, 01:13 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

wow man your grammar/description sucks which really makes it difficult to help you. that being said the only vacuum hose in that general location of the engine would be receiving vacuum from the manifold, leading to a canister on top of the fender and returning to 3 solenoid switches which in turn go to the EGR and ACV. anything else is someone dicking around with something they dont understand

Old 03-11-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Burr
wow man your grammar/description sucks which really makes it difficult to help you. that being said the only vacuum hose in that general location of the engine would be receiving vacuum from the manifold, leading to a canister on top of the fender and returning to 3 solenoid switches which in turn go to the EGR and ACV. anything else is someone dicking around with something they dont understand

Your solution is worse then grammer, which by the way is noted in your useless reply of one long sentence that does NOT address the issue, which is rather clear, WHAT IS THAT HOSE and is it a vacuum fitting, Please save your insults and lack of knowledge for someone else. There was a picture in case you missed that along with real world solution. NOTE IN TECH writings such as here your "rules of grammar" by convention, are NA Your lack of subject matter is obvious.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

remember your the one who came here looking for answers. your initial post was less than stellar in the descriptive category and seeing how even though i was drunk when i made my response. I was still able to more accurately describe the vacuum system that your engine uses. but since you have it all figured out now, have a nice day!
Old 03-17-2015, 01:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Bickering aside, can you add a wider angle photo and maybe something from a new angle altogether or better still, remove what it connects to we it's more visible? At this point, it's possibly a vacuum or EGR hose... either way, I think it's actually vacuum, but it may go to an EGR part. Can't see it well enough. I can only say that it appears to be the right front of the engine.

Best guess: EGR Vacuum solenoid(E53E-9J459-AA) AKA EGR Valve Control Switch - hose. Of course, I would've tossed anything like that off my own stuff back in the 1990's and never thought about it again, so... I can't say I remember where it's located.

I'd look up the parts you think it is so you can associate a picture with the names and that should help you ID the specific hose. Even so, if you're looking for the hose, just unbolt what it goes to and take the part and the hose so you can match it up at a parts store because, going in w/ the hose itself to get a new one... waste of time in many respects. Taking the part too will ensure you find the correct size as well as the length.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:59 AM

Default Found issue, odd set up

Finally solved issue, retired Ford Eng helped out. The hose is supposed to be to the fuel tank fume line. What someone did, for reasons beyond reason, was to put a vacuum type elbow fitting on the spike that sticks up from valve cover bolt. It seemed to act as elbow but part to the fuel fume was missing, we found second part of elbow in engine bay. Now why it was hooked up as such, no one can explain other then difficult solution to simply running hose direct. Whole hose (part that was left) rotted so replace it all. Again not a clue why all time and effort went into the mod, but folks do strange things for strange reasons. Glad to find out what was going on. Problem solved, and "not" bickering, just have low tolerance for big mouths with no solutions, might have overlooked if question answered.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Did this used to be connected to the vapor canister? That would be funny but... if it was removed, that may have been because those canisters used to be pricey and someone may have decided to lose it, so to speak.

No issues here on the bickering... just wanted to be clear that I didn't intend to be caught up in anything. I will get to that point over time, but hopefully not much and not soon.

Glad you got it figured out, but will you leave it as is w/ new hose or whatever, or try to make it as it was when new?
Old 03-20-2015, 10:13 AM

Default Not sure on what next

Again not "Bickering" but rather fed up with rude who then ends up with no solution or response, AKA hot air as in "if you cannot contribute to issues, shut up. The hose is supposed to connect to the fuel tanks as some sort of vapor recycle to the engine. as valve it hooks up with then goes back fuel systems. Odd looking hose with what is normally a connection at fuel side, would appear as one of the vacuum type fittings and bell shaped rubber/cloth outer. Will have to hunt up some hose to rerig, but for now engine runs fine. Slight jerking at low end as if should not be in higher gear, but always done that. I do wonder about correct plugs as using called out AC25(If I remember right) as seem to have read somewhere another plug works better. ANYTHING to bring up MPG would be fine. Truck has 170K+ so not complaining much. Another issue is the clear coat seems to be breaking down and white spots showing up, base coat is metal blue... so far none seemed to have solution for what I think is clear coat breakdown, other then body shops "best thing is for us to repaint" AKA cost is outrageous as is a working truck. Have to run that ethol mix and not at all happy about that, hopefully elected will kill use of that stuff soon. Note Canister is fine and hooked up correctly. Thanks for thought on that as looked at it carefully.

Quick Reply: What is this., a vacum line or what?