Topic Sponsor

What the best fix for a leaky cat on a 1989 Fi50 302 5.0 V8

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:18 PM

Received 79 Likes on 22 Posts

Default What the best fix for a leaky cat on a 1989 Fi50 302 5.0 V8

The primary cat is leaking and needs to be replaced whcih suprises me some, as no check engine light is showning up yet? and I know the bulb is good.

I can feel the leak it's right on the seam of the converte, but the leak is obviously behind the O2 sensor!

A local mechanic's quote came to 995.00...and thats if the bolts to the Y pipe don't

I know leagally if I have my mechanic do the work for me i will be required to replace my primary cat, he said the secondary is not required so I can save money by not replacing that one too! geez that's good as these are pricy items.

But I am sure there are other options out there for me, if I am required to spend a grand anyways...

This is where you guys come in...

Can the cats be welded or is that not a leagal repair to perform..

Any suggestions on which way I should go!

I found a direct bolt on from walker for 391.00, and a local scrap yard said they would pay me 160.00 for the two ford originals.

Cant believe they have any value but I think I will ditch the original two cat setup and convert to one.

If I do this will it cause me problems...
Thanks,

KJ

Last edited by kjthelen; 12-07-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: new data
Old 12-07-2012, 09:14 PM
USN Retired 1992-2012

Received 243 Likes on 122 Posts

I would think if it is on a seam, there would be no reason you could not clean it up and have it welded, assuming it isn't stoped up for some reason building to much pressure in the cat causing the original seam to rupture. If you have good engine power and good flow of exhaust out the tailpipe, that should not be an issue. Save money imho.
The following users liked this post:
kjthelen (12-08-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Received 79 Likes on 22 Posts

Well I found a performace muffler shop in hope of having them weld it, but instead he inserted a y pipe back to my muffler and it has only one cat. He gave me back the original primary and secondary to salvage them. Net cost after the fix and salvage was 180.00.

It drives fine and has plenty of power and no hissing noise any more...

All in all im satisfied wirh the results.

Quick Reply: What the best fix for a leaky cat on a 1989 Fi50 302 5.0 V8