Topic Sponsor

Starter continues to spin...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter continues to spin...

I have a 92' 150, automatic, 4x4, 302 I've put a new solenoid and new starter in and the starter continues to spin after motor is running, motor starts fine, I have another starter and key switch coming tomorrow but does anybody have any other ideas? Thank you, Rodney
Old 11-10-2013, 10:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you've replaced the starter, my suggestion would be to look at starter alignment. It may require shims to get the drive in and out with ease. Right now it sounds like it's in a bind and can't release after starting the engine.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:56 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodney B Moved
I have a 92' 150, automatic, 4x4, 302 I've put a new solenoid and new starter in and the starter continues to spin after motor is running, motor starts fine, I have another starter and key switch coming tomorrow but does anybody have any other ideas? Thank you, Rodney
My buddy's grandpa has an 86 f150 that did this a few years back. They went through 4-5 solenoids before they fixed it. Sometimes they're bad out of the box. At its worst it wouldn't disengage and they couldn't get it to stop even with the truck off, they didn't disconnect the battery fast enough and somehow something caught on fire.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Forge-World-FORD
My buddy's grandpa has an 86 f150 that did this a few years back. They went through 4-5 solenoids before they fixed it. Sometimes they're bad out of the box. At its worst it wouldn't disengage and they couldn't get it to stop even with the truck off, they didn't disconnect the battery fast enough and somehow something caught on fire.
Update: I can get the starter to operate normally if I barely turn the key for a quick second to start the motor but the battery light stays on, if I start it and the starter continues to spin the battery light goes off. I changed the key switch tonight and the problem still exists. Also when starter continues to spin I get 12v on the trigger wire, when starter operates normally I don't get 12v of course. Thanks for the help so far guys.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:23 PM

Sounds like the ignition switch (farther down the column from the switch key).
Old 11-20-2013, 08:36 PM

I had the solenoid wired wrong....lol duh!

Quick Reply: Starter continues to spin...