Topic Sponsor

smog pump system

Old 07-27-2015, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smog pump system

95 302. I recently did a motor swap on the truck got everything together and buttoned up the truck starts and runs but I have a weird exhaust leak. I think it's part of the smog pump system. The previous owner had disabled the system before so when I did the motor swap I deleted it altogether except for the pump (the pump is just there for the pully). Now I do believe I've made a rookie mistake and left the two hardliners off the back of the heads so now it has a bad exhaust leak when I start it. Am i right or does that not matter at all. Can I get some input and advice on what to do. What do I do??? Truck starts right up but has a bad exhaust leak and runs rough
Old 09-25-2015, 04:41 PM

The way I understand it, if you get rid of the smog system, you need to go ahead and remove the air pump. You will have to plug some holes, don't remember what size of bolts to use though. And you will just have to go with a shorter belt. But that's all I really know about it.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:17 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

There was originally a pipe that goes across the back of the motor from one head to the other with a diverter valve in the middle (it would direct fresh air from the air pump either through the heads or down to the catalytic. If all that is removed you have to plug the holes in the heads and the pipe at the convertor.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:12 PM

thanks guys i went on latemodelrestoration.com and found the plugs for the heads they were only like 7 dollars thanks for the help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: smog pump system