Topic Sponsor

Smaller, Higher Power Engine than V8

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Smaller, Higher Power Engine than V8

I have a 302 in my truck and I love it. It puts out 200 HP and 250-275 FT-LB of Torque. I see smaller engines such as the New 2.0 L EcoBoost engine putting out 270 HP and 250 FT-LB of Torque!! I am not complaining about how my truck goes forwards, I just want a smaller engine with roughly the same amount of power as my big V8. I would also be happy with a 3.5 L V6 from a Taurus whch pushes decent power.

I want to hear what anyone has to say about my idea, please talk to me! Thanks in advance!
Old 05-25-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Is your aim fuel efficiency?
Old 05-25-2014, 03:55 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by wfh2ii94
I have a 302 in my truck and I love it. It puts out 200 HP and 250-275 FT-LB of Torque. I see smaller engines such as the New 2.0 L EcoBoost engine putting out 270 HP and 250 FT-LB of Torque!! I am not complaining about how my truck goes forwards, I just want a smaller engine with roughly the same amount of power as my big V8. I would also be happy with a 3.5 L V6 from a Taurus whch pushes decent power.

I want to hear what anyone has to say about my idea, please talk to me! Thanks in advance!
You have to consider what they had to work with on our old trucks and what they can do on vehicles now. You basically have to research what engines had what numbers and after you find what you like, keep researching the rest of the drive train you'll need to mate with the engine and what sort of fabrication work you'll need to get it in the truck. Plus any electronic components you'll need (ECU, harnesses, etc.)
Old 09-10-2014, 12:46 AM

My aim isn't only fuel economy, but just a really cool modern engine with more power than the 5.0 I was thinking about a new 5.0 crate motor, but it'd be pretty unique if some were to ask me what's in my truck and I tell them a 4 banger XD Or a V6. I think I would be pretty neat to attempt. Ford is putting a 2.7L 4 banger in their new truck and my goodness look at that power! From a 4 liter engine! More HP and Torgue than a big V8 in my truck. It is just astonishing. Fords new 3.5 Ecoboost was mind blowing powerful, and with Hennessy boosting the motor even further put out a ton of power. I just want to see what is possible. I want the old beat up body with modern internals.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:57 AM

I really like this truck, I want to keep it as long as possible, and I don't mean until it breaks down. I will be getting a small second vehicle to use while my truck is a project. It runs very well, I think it is pretty fast for an older truck. It out hauls my friends 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. I like the way it feels.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:15 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Look at it this way, how much are you willing to spend?
Old 09-11-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Crownman
Look at it this way, how much are you willing to spend?
That's pretty much sums it up to be honest. If you got the $$$, it can happen because it ain't gonna be cheap.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:12 AM

The money will come gradually, I am becoming a truck driver so the money won't be an issue. Not to gloat in any way. I truly admire these older trucks, and don't kill me for saying this but Chevrolet's older box trucks as well. I want to give breathe knew life into an old soul and keep it as long as possible. I admire the drive comfort that that old box on bedsprings serves me XD I have a tempuPedic mattress and love it, recomended for anyone btw.

I may be a little obsessed with my truck, but I daydreamed about what it would be like to drive as if it were brand knew, right off the lot. How smooth the clutch would be, how smooth it takes off with the fresh V8 Hum it produces. These trucks were the stuff back in the day. ( Talking as if I were a wise old man!) haha
Old 09-12-2014, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by wfh2ii94
The money will come gradually, I am becoming a truck driver so the money won't be an issue. Not to gloat in any way. I truly admire these older trucks, and don't kill me for saying this but Chevrolet's older box trucks as well. I want to give breathe knew life into an old soul and keep it as long as possible. I admire the drive comfort that that old box on bedsprings serves me XD I have a tempuPedic mattress and love it, recomended for anyone btw.

I may be a little obsessed with my truck, but I daydreamed about what it would be like to drive as if it were brand knew, right off the lot. How smooth the clutch would be, how smooth it takes off with the fresh V8 Hum it produces. These trucks were the stuff back in the day. ( Talking as if I were a wise old man!) haha
Oh, I understand...what some of us do is pour money into our truck for no other reason for the fact we can! I do it all the time.....in fact, right now I'm prepping for a custom transmission build and a Detroit Truetrac Differential or Limited Slip Differential (when I decide on which way to go).
Old 09-12-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

You will spend $10,000+ on just the motor and probably another 10+++++ on fabrication if you can even find someone who wants to do it. Then you're going to have to find a transmission for your truck and some wiring genius who can get all of this running.

Simply put, it cannot be done. Deal with your crappy fuel mileage, $100 a week on gas or so is a lot better then putting $30,000+ into a truck that (no offence of course) will most likely be worn out in 5-10 years.

If you want a new truck that's better on gas, get one. If you want a good old truck, spend some money and make yours exactly the same as you dream it to be within reason. You cannot have your cake and eat it too. If gas is bothering you that much, get a small car.

Speaking from experience, once you get a "real job", your concerns about 10mpg not being 20 are minimal. Definatly not worth the price of a new truck to get some frankentruck. More power can be had easily by using some aftermarket performance add-ons and not only that but it will be much more reliable in the long run then a high technology turbo engine with a ton of stuff most mechanics cannot understand.

Get some good flowing heads, a cam and do all the other needed hop ups and you'll be looking at 300+ hp if done right and not really lose any fuel mileage as well.

Last edited by sportster07; 09-12-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Smaller, Higher Power Engine than V8