Topic Sponsor

running rough and smoking

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running rough and smoking

i have a 1993 ford e150 with a 5.0L... it was idling high in park and nuetral, i found a leak in the upper intake gasket so i took it apart changed header gaskets, valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, throttle body gasket, and upper intake gasket.... while it was apart i degreased the intake, and throttle body and cleaned them intensly, i also changed the TPS..... so i finally started it today, and now it's running rough, and smoking.... i checked the plug wires 3 times, everything is correct.... i pulled the spark plug out of the number 4 cylinder and it smelled like gas and was really dirty, and they were brand new plugs..... did i mess up one of the sensors in the TB from cleaning it.... or did something else possibly go wrong??? any help would be aprecciated.... thanks
Old 03-03-2015, 01:11 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

what color is the smoke and what does it smell like?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:12 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Did you adjust the tps to the proper voltage or just throw it on ?
Old 03-03-2015, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Burr
what color is the smoke and what does it smell like?
it's gray and smells rich, and the way it's ideling it sounds like a drag car with a crazy cam in it
Old 03-03-2015, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Did you adjust the tps to the proper voltage or just throw it on ?
i just put it on..... how do you adjust the voltage???
Old 03-04-2015, 08:20 AM

You loosen the screws slightly and turn it until the signal wire is putting out .9 volts, closed throttle. The holes are elongated for that purpose. In extreme cases you have to elongate them a bit more, but not usually.
Some people say to dial it to .96 or .97 for optimum racing (mustang stuff), but .9 should work fine.
I posted "testing the TPS" a week or so ago - that will tell you how to test the signal.
The following users liked this post:
BWEB (03-04-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 04:06 PM

i fixed the rough idle and smoking.... one if the vacuum lines on top of the upper intake wasn't on.... so now it's idling at like 3 grand if i had to guess (cause i don't have a tacometer)...when i unplug the IAC it drops down significantly.... so i'm guessing the IAC is stuck wide open.....
Old 03-05-2015, 08:10 PM

That sounds like a good guess. Sometimes cleaning them doesn't work very well. Try a new one - it's not throwing money away even if it's not the problem. And then adjust the TPS, you may have it set way too rich.
The following users liked this post:
BWEB (03-06-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 07:58 PM

bought a new IAC, installed it.... and no change .... runs close to normal with it unplugged, and around 3000 rpms plugged in... it's getting around 11.44 volts to it so from what the haynes book says, it's in the good... kinda stumped right now....
Old 03-11-2015, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
You loosen the screws slightly and turn it until the signal wire is putting out .9 volts, closed throttle. The holes are elongated for that purpose. In extreme cases you have to elongate them a bit more, but not usually.
Some people say to dial it to .96 or .97 for optimum racing (mustang stuff), but .9 should work fine.
I posted "testing the TPS" a week or so ago - that will tell you how to test the signal.
well i did a bunch of testing with my multimeter.... the brand new TPS i installed was defective..... i installed it exactly how i took it off, i thought it looked wrong... The TPS had been installed backwards, and i followed that example.... so i took the TB off and fixed the wiring on the old TPS(cause it had some bare wires) the voltage seemed completely fine so i put it back on and dialed it in @ .90-.91 but i can't reassemble it until this weekend when i get a new gasket.....

Quick Reply: running rough and smoking