Topic Sponsor

Running Rough

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Rough

I just bought a 95 with a 302. Shortly after buying it I noticed what feels like to me a misfire which is random at all speeds and even at idle. If I accelerate on it hard the check engine comes on and then off shortly after. I pulled a plug to check if they were bad and it looked new to me. I havent pulled them all but I dont want to go buy a new set if its something totally diff. I was thinking about getting new wires, cap, rotor, do a intake cleaning, put on a new fuel filter. Im curious tho, im reading about things like TPS or IAC that are bad also causing it to run rough. Can yall give me some input, id rather not have to take the parts cannon to it. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Pull the codes on your computer with a jumper wire or paper clip. This will tell you the nature of your misfire. Do not replace any parts with out testing. Misfire on most of my older 302s were usually in the high voltage secondary system. These engines like Motorcraft copper cores, good spirial core wires, and a cap/rotor with brass contacts.
Make sure when replacing the wires that you follow the proper routing to avoid cross fire.
Regards
rikard

Quick Reply: Running Rough