Topic Sponsor

rough idle at start up

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough idle at start up

no one on fsb could or wants to help me out, so I thought I would try a bunch of different experts. I got a ford bronco, 95xlt, 5.8L with 153,ooo miles. I have had it for 3yrs and I haven't had any issues except for finding a broken fuel injector wire. I bought this to be my winter beater so I could keep my custom pick up out of the snow. I have replaced pretty much everything and I mean everything. most was under the hood trying to figure out why I had a rough idle, so I ended up replacing every sensor, valve and everything else I could replace. a short list would be, bassani exhaust from the headers on back, msd dist., cold air intake, belstein shocks, new computer, all sensors, accel tune up kit and coil, and so on and so on. i have wanted to do this one upgrade for years now, and i finally saved up and purchased it all at once. a new efan from perma cool, bbk throttle body (56mm) and the edlebrock performer intake kit. i spent 10weeks installing all of that. most of that time was trying to figure out how to remove 2 broken bolts from the engine block that happened during removal. i finally got it all back together using the finest of parts, but it wouldn't start. i had to get a mech. out to help me drop the dist. at tdc. when i tried to start it, it fired right up like a switch was flipped. he told me to hop out and check for leaks. i hopped out and the truck was purring, smoother than i ever seen. i filled up the radiator to the top and stood there looking for leaks. the mech. was in a hurry and he wanted me to look at some pics on his phone, so i walked away. i never thought anything bad could happen, i just thought it would idle. well about 20 plus minutes went by before he finally let me go, and when i got back to the truck steam was shooting out of the radiator. i grabbed antifreeze and started pouring it in, but it wasn't enough, so i got more. the steam wouldn't stop so i shut off the truck and that's when i seen all kinds of fluid shooting out of the radiator all over my motor. i waited till the next day to fill it back up and hope i didn't ruin anything by letting the truck over heat. anyway, i filled it up, no leaks anywhere, but every time i fire the truck up, it has a very rough idle, like it wants to stall, but it doesn't. it will idle rough at 600rpm for about 20secs. then smooth out at 1000rpm, then settles at a pretty smooth 650rpm. i never hit the gas, i just let the computer take control. it takes about 45 secs then i can drive away. when i get to a light, you can't even tell the truck is running. something happened when the truck overheated and i don't know where else to look. i am hoping someone here might have some suggestions. i know it will take time for the computer to relearn everything. i have the timing set at 10deg, i replaced both the ect and the act sensor with no change. all other sensors are new. i may wait a week or so before i check the tps sensor out. smooth idle and acc. after the initial start up, just very rough at startup . any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: rough idle at start up