Topic Sponsor

Rod Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm Still Down Home

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Rod Bearings

So, I have been hearing that when you have a bad rod bearing, you're pretty much asking for trouble. Many mechanics have said, "Might as well get a new engine."

My question is: What all should you replace if you do have a scored journal? I know machining the crank is a must, if not just replacing it, along with new mains and new rod bearings, but is there anything more? Oil pump, maybe? What if you have a rod bearing going bad, but it has not scored the journal? Would it be safe to just replace the bad bearing/bearings?

My truck started making a rod knock about 400-500 miles ago. I have since stopped driving it. Even when I did drive it with the knock, I ALWAYS drove it like a grandpa, and accelerated very gently, as not to invoke the knock. It only knocks at around 1800 RPM's and up, and I kept it under that as best as possible. I have always driven the truck gentle, as before it developed this, it had a bad fuel pump from sitting for 4 years. (I recently bought this truck.) I've gotten the rod bearings, but have yet to pull the pan to reveal the insides.

My question is this: Do you think it is possible that, with how gentle I've driven it, and how little it has been driven since this started occurring, it will be alright just changing the bearings? If not, what all would you recommend that I replace? I have done some research, but I want some honest opinions. Thanks a lot, guys, and sorry for the windy post.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:56 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

If I was going to put that much effort to pull the engine to do rod and crank bearing, I may as well go all out and drop in a spare engine while I have the other rebuilt with the cylinders honed or bored, new piston and rings, crank, seals, water pump, freeze plugs, rebuilt the heads and all.

That way I have the peace of mine knowing I have a perfect engine that nothing else will go wrong in the next 400-500 miles if I hear another knock.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 AM
I'm Still Down Home

Problem is, it only cost me $60.00 to get a set of rod bearings. It'll cost me near $1200 to get the cheapest engine near me, and I don't have the cash. (Sadly) Do you think it's possible that it'll be ok, considering the way I've driven it? I SO wish I could afford a new engine, and just rebuild this one. That would be much less a headache, but alas. Cash eludes me. Lol. So, do you think it's possible it would be alright with just a bearing replacement, and cleaning up everything inside? I'll be starting on the project after I get off work this morning.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:38 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Rod bearings, Main bearings... Gaskets..Oil pump. ...

Also need to have that crank spec'd out and make sure you are not waisting your time. If the bearing has gotten into the rod, you will need a rod.Then you mise well do a complete rebuild.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:00 AM
I'm Still Down Home

Gotcha. Kinda what I was expecting. Well, I guess I'll find out in the morning, when I get off. Gonna at least start when I get off. Thank God for two vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
bobkyle2 (05-10-2013)

Quick Reply: Rod Bearings