Topic Sponsor

Please help! First Time Motor Swap

Old 02-17-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! First Time Motor Swap

Everyone says don't trust people online. well I made that mistake. I bought a '96 f-150 from the rust belt (southern Michigan) on the assumption the gentleman selling it to me was honest. It appeared to need some body work and bushing replacements; no big deal I thought. I get home and see it (I am in the military currently and had a Power of Attorney take care of the transaction after inspection) and its got an awful knock. Upon further investigation I see just under 1/4" lateral play in the crankshaft pulley.

WOW! So my assumption is, I have worn crankshaft bushings and a bad thrust plate= new motor or complete rebuild. It is a Jasper Crate. I am an aircraft mechanic with minimal experience with vehicles that don't leave the Earth's surface. I do have a father with moderate Car mechanics background and we are both mechanically inclined. My question to all you fine gentleman, and ladies I'm sure, is where the heck do I begin? I have been trying to find some built 302W's online. Most of these are advertised as race motors. What I need is a well built (reliable parts) hydraulic roller motor. I have an oversized intake manifold, oversized throttle body, aftermarket air filter and exhaust, 4.56 gears in front and rear on 35"s. I'm assuming whatever other accessories I could pull off this other motor that don't come with the new. I need a daily for when I get out of the service and am back home going to school and working full time. Can someone please answer these few questions I have thus far:

1) Where should I get an assembled motor that isn't built with cheap parts?

2) What can I expect to pay for such a motor?

3) Should I expect to have to swap many other parts or can I just yank the old motor out, swap some accessories and put the new motor in?

4) If I do go with an ATK or Blueprint, because of the higher HP, will I have issues with my existing setup?

5) What the hell am I doing could I please get some guidance, haha

Thank you for your time I really hope I can get some help on this one.

Last edited by HellOrHighWater; 02-17-2017 at 06:14 PM. Reason: im an idiot haha
Old 02-17-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I'm not quite sure what you mean about lateral play in the camshaft pulley ? - it doesn't have one, that I know of. Crankshaft pulley maybe ?
The best advice to be sure of the quality you end up with is to pick up a used 302 (94 to 96 will be roller cam, H/O like yours should be) and take it to a local, reputable rebuilder and have them do it right. Then you'll know exactly what you're getting (and if you do have any issues you can go look them in the eye instead of barking on the phone at someone 4 states away).
A used engine you're planning to have rebuilt could be had for a couple hundred probably. Having a rebuild shop give you a fresh slightly over stock engine could probably be accomplished for anywhere from 1200 to 2500 if you don't get carried away.
The following users liked this post:
HellOrHighWater (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 05:46 PM

Thank you and yes I mean Crankshaft I'm sorry, writing frustrated and after trying to learn as much as I possibly can on motors in 3 months on my own leaves me a little frazzled sometimes with nomenclature. That is definitely an avenue I am interested in looking into, and hadn't considered before. thank you for the reply sir
Old 02-20-2017, 05:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My local pull and save you can get complete motors for I think around $170. Like the other guy said about $1200 for a stock rebuild. That's with you putting it together..
Old 02-23-2017, 08:45 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Seems a little strange that the crank can move back and forth 1/4". Just the way that engine's built it would be damn near impossible for it to move more than 1/32 or less. Wonder if the bolt that holds the damper on is tight ? (right in the middle of the pulley)
Old 02-23-2017, 10:12 PM

Default believe it or not

I tried removing the bolt on the front of the crank and couldn't even get it to budge.. it seemed like it was on there pretty tight. I'd say it is just barely under 1/4" of play. its pretty bad. so much that the belt is jumping off an entire groove and then slapping back done into place.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:13 PM

The consensus I've come to thus far is to drive it until it explodes and get an ATK Stage 2. Thoughts?

Search this Thread