Topic Sponsor

oil pressure question!!

Old 10-14-2012, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure question!!

I just bought my first f150 about 2 weeks ago. Its a 93 with the 5.0 extended cab, manual tranny, 2 wheel drive. 153k on motor. Needs a few odds and ends, so far ive done a starter, general tune up (plugs, wires, oil and air filter)

When i got the truck my oil pressure seemed a little low on the dash gage. My brother just got rid of his flairside with the 5.0 in it and he said it was about right when he looked at it. Today pressure dropped between the n and o. Shortly after the "check engine" light came on for about 5ish seconds then went off. Now i am no mechanic but i no enough to get by and this dosnt seem normal. Anyone have any ideas??

I will be throwing on a mechanical gage asap, what should the pressure read when hot??
Old 10-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Ford junky

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gauge on your truck is more of just an indicator if you have pressure rather than the exact science. A mechanical gauge will be your best source for an accurate reading.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Never_Evil
The gauge on your truck is more of just an indicator if you have pressure rather than the exact science. A mechanical gauge will be your best source for an accurate reading.
What should the pressure be???
Old 10-20-2012, 10:03 PM

Sorry, don't know what the pressure should be. But make sure you check your oil pressure sending unit. Mine went bad and it did the same thing.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Ford Tech

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Oil pressure hot @ 2k rpms should be between 40-60psi.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The old rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000 RPM. Most of my Fords have run about 50 psi and no lower than 25 psi. As stated above our oil pressure gauge is an indicator that is connected to a switch. When the oil pressure is above 6-7 psi the switch makes and it should show about 1/2. You can make the gauge functional by replacing the sender with a pre 87 one (302 may need an extension) and bypassing the gauge resistor with a wire. Oil pressure and the check engine light aren't connected unless the engine rpm dropped enough for the switch to open.
You have OBDI so you can pull the computer codes with a paper clip or jumper wire. Many sites have the directions and what the codes mean.
Regards
rikard

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil pressure question!!