Topic Sponsor

New cam for 95 f150

Old 07-30-2013, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New cam for 95 f150

So I have a 1995 ford f150 4X4 with the 5.8 litre 351W. I've been looking at new cam for it. I'm really not looking for power but what I'm really looking for Is a lopey idle. I prefer comp cams because I use them in everything I have built. Most of the cars I do sell but I have a 77 camaro with comp cams and I love how it sounds. My truck is my daily driver but I don't care a lot about MPG. So what's the best Comp cam for a 351 Windsor with a lopey sounding idle?
Old 08-02-2013, 01:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How lopey do you want to get? Are you willing to sacrifice some low end torque just for the sound? Can you give us a little more info on your setup? Heads, intake, or exhaust mods?
Old 08-03-2013, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck is completely stock. Just a regular 351W. I would give up a little torque but not too much.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being that you're completely stock you're somewhat limited. Lope is a product of increasing valve overlap. The more overlap you have the more you detract from low end torque and add to the top end of the power band. You can overcome some of that loss by raising the stall in your torque converter (assuming you have an auto). However, these trucks are severely restricted on the exhaust side. Before you consider putting a cam in it I would look at getting it to breathe better. You won't gain much and it probably won't be very happy with the way it runs on just a cam alone. I've tried at least 15-20 different cams in the 351 and the best one I've found that won't cause you to lose much on the low end is the Lunati 61002. It's not a huge cam but you can definitely tell that it's not stock. IIRC the duration is about 220/226 (or somewhere around there). Even with a mild cam like that it still ran like crap until I opened up the exhaust. Bear in mind also that you will most likely need to upgrade your valve springs at the same time. Hope this helps some.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New cam for 95 f150