Topic Sponsor

need help with motor rebuild!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with motor rebuild!

Hi everyone. Im in the process of rebuilding a 390 fe motor. It is already bored .30 over and will need to be punched out a little more due to scratches and rust marks. Im having an issue deciding what pistons to use. I have an edelbrock performer rpm intake, 280h comp cam, and an edelbrock 750cfm 4bbl carb. I would love to have forged pistons but cant afford them yet. Will i be okay with hyperpuectic or cast pistons? Which is better? The motor is being built for a truck that will be just a cruiser along with a few burnouts. Thanks for any help guys!
Old 10-14-2014, 07:14 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

From what I understand, forged pistons is really the only way to go. Be a shame to put all that money into a motor with a built in weak link.
You know, when the difference is just an extra shift at work or two.
I know about budgets and all, but if it's not an emergency build it might be better to wait a little more to make sure you do it right.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:07 PM

Thats another problem im having.. im back at college where i cant work as much as i used to and i have a kid on the way. So the funds are limited. Its not an emergency build but the truck only needs a motor to complete the project... and im just getting ancy to get this thing moving. Its just hard to spit up 400 for a set of fprged when i can get the others for less than 200.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:03 AM

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts

hyper or cast pistons will be just fine for your build. For a budget and reliable piston i always turn to speed pros hyper pistons. Used them many times in the past with great results!
Old 10-15-2014, 09:04 AM

thanks for the response! do you think these pistons will work?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sl...view/make/ford
Old 10-17-2014, 01:37 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackpony
hyper or cast pistons will be just fine for your build. For a budget and reliable piston i always turn to speed pros hyper pistons. Used them many times in the past with great results!
+1

I used speed pro hyperutectic pistons with no issues.

Quick Reply: need help with motor rebuild!