Topic Sponsor

My 95 F-150 acts like it has a choke...

Old 08-18-2016, 08:08 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default My 95 F-150 acts like it has a choke...

This summer at 5000ft in Prescott, AZ on initial start up, my 95 F-150 XLT flareside with 302 V-8, and EFI engine revs to 1200 rpm and idles like it is warming up as if it had a choke. Just bought truck in June 16 so winter not tested yet as this is Arizona it might get down to 50 by November.
Does EFI work like a choke would? It idles smooth as silk rumbling with energy until it “warms up” still at 1200rpm. When I tap the gas pedal the engine rpm goes down to 800 as if to say "OK I am warm now let’s get this day going." Runs great all day long.
Pumps out strong cold air flow with AC. Have KN air flow system installed.
I thought it just did this once or twice depending on the outside temp at 0600 MST (62 to 70 deg) but every morning now.
Have not waited long enough to see if the engine will kick out and go down to 800 rpm on its own.… if it ever kicks itself out. Cannot be late for work waiting for engine (experiment) to “warm” up.
Does the EFI need adjusting or the timing rechecked?
Love the choke concept on my dad’s 71 Ford F-100 but this is a 95 XLT. HELP.

Not concerned about dollar $igns flowing out tail pipe just curious as to what to check.
Thanks for any ideas.
=======
"Proud Woman Vet Driving”
Old 08-20-2016, 01:04 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

The high idle on cold start is perfectly normal. In the winter it might stay at high idle a bit longer than at this time of year. All efi vehicles will do this, it's just more noticeable on our trucks as they are noisy when first started.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:22 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you very much for easing my angst. On further research after I posted this I did wait for engine to warm up and it kicked itself down to 800 rpm rarin’ to get going. My truck loves 65 mph on cruise control on 10 mile stretch between Prescott and chino Valley. Untouched by Del Webb developer and ticky tacky subdivisions this open prairie-like rolling hills screams DO NOT SUBDIVIDE. Scener is grazing long horn cattle, pronghorn antelope herds interspersed with hersds of horses dotting landscape. enjoying the relaxing drive for now until he first road grader scrapes the earth for that first chunk of top soil is scooped o waiting dump truck. Hate progress when it thinks of destroying an idyllic wild western grazing lands. oops. time to get off my soap box. Truck runs like it was made for the open road. New front speakers tied into rear speakers now make the commute more enjoyable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 95 F-150 acts like it has a choke...