Topic Sponsor

Motor Building Guidence Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Motor Building Guidence Needed!

I'm new to the site and this is my first post so bear with me. I drive a 93 F150 with a 351w. I was thinking about pulling the motor and doing a few performance mods to it. I began looking at things and I just don't know what to do. I would like to put in a bigger cam like the big muthr thumpr (dont know if i would go with this one but it's just an example) If I put in a cam like that then what else would I be looking at replacing? I know I will need different heads with bigger ports and hydrolic lifters and such. What else should I look for when changing stuff out and what will need to be changed out?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your 93 351w is right on the line, from 94-97 302 truck and 351w were switched to roller motors, some late 93s i have heard are as well, or they have the roller ready block, easiest way to figure that out is the block casting # it is located next to the starter the roller blocks were #F4TE, if it is a roller motor you can use fords 303 series cams for the 5.0 HO mustang, the e303 is a good choice its not to radical and will have good driveability but when you run any bigger cam you will need to switch to a mass air system instead of your speed density, there is a kit for this, if its not a roller maybe something with a similar grind could be used, a good double valve spring set and a good set of rocker arms will help as well, they also make aftermarket intake manifolds for the 90s 5.0 truck now, not sure about the windsor, edelbrock makes one, also BBK makes a bigger throttle body as well, these with the cam will wake the windsor up and give a really strong mid range where it needs it, also a set of long tube headers will help alot, as well as a good dual exhaust.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:10 AM

also a good set of heads will help tremendously, AFR makes an awesome head for the small block ford.... boring it .40 over or so would be nice as well with a good flat top piston, and maybe some bigger injectors with a bigger fuel pump too...
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Fordman

The most important thing to remember is to make sure everything is designed to operate together at the same RPMs. Bigger is not always better. Big loppey cams sound good but create no vacume for brakes. or acc. Big fat cams dont have alot of torque down low.thus the need for lower gearing,high stall converter etc. A good question is what do you want to do with the truck? Do you want driveability ? Do you want a drag truck ? If you stay with the 5.0 you could freshen it up If its a Roller go with a mild E cam 303? without switching to mass air" i think" i know they used to have one you could install without switching to mass air . You could get rd of the fuel injection put an Edelbrock performer cam lifters intake carb on it with a nice set of pipes it would sound good and do anything you could wanna do with a pickup. hope this helps. Drveabilty will be important i say that because i just did a Torino with a 351 windsor and went with the above Edelbrock Performer Series parts and my Brother went with the Comp Cams thumper cam 4v Heads Had to have the studs machined for studs and guide plates Roller Rocker arms etc etc etc Holley Double Pumper and it runs like crap unless its wide open.Hes always adjusting that Carb. Hes wishing he had went a little more on the mild side. Not to mention he spent twice as much as i did . Anyway let us know what you decide on.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:23 PM

Stroke it !! It's really easy!!

Saw this in circle track a while back. Always wanted to do it, but I only had a 302 at the time.

Go to an engine rebuilding shop. Buy 8 6cyl "truck" rods, they are longer, but have a smaller bottom hole than the 8 cyl rods. Take the crank to the shop, have them offset grind the crank to fit the rods. You are actually only grinding on half the crank, to make it smaller to fit the rods, this makes the "stroker" part of it. Next you get some stock Ford 400 pistons, same bore size, but the piston pin sits closer to the top of the piston. This will give you the room you need for the longer rod.

All of this will give you a 377 cid, a little over 10:1 comp ratio, so you can still use reg fuel, and it will give you a better rod to crank angle for more torque. You don't need anything "custom" all the parts are stock Ford stuff.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:47 PM

In order to stroke it all I would need to do is get new pistons, rods, and have the crank grinded on?

Quick Reply: Motor Building Guidence Needed!