Topic Sponsor

Intermittent Missing

Old 05-13-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Intermittent Missing

So, my truck possesses the power of a 302. And, what will happen occasionally, is it will start missing under load. Now, the odd factor to this is the intervals at which it starts missing. First, it wont do this until its been running for a good 5 minutes, from a cold start that is. When it starts missing, it misses under acceleration. Now, this also is intermittent, in the sense that it happens about every 2 weeks, give or take. What I have found to do, is disconnect the negative, and wait for the computer to reset. Then start it back up, and its fine. At least until the next time it happens.

Now, I think I can conclude a couple different things from this.. For one, its an electrical issue, at least to some degree. Why? Cause resetting the computer fixes it. Also, it never has any issues with idling rough. Recently, I have replaced the following (That pertain to the issue): New EGR Valve, cleaned MAF sensor, new O2 sensor (Previous owner installed new exhaust), cleaned throttle body, replaced battery terminal connectors.

Now, a while back, I pulled a couple codes from the CEL. Im not sure if they were the right codes, because I did the blinking light test, but they made sense. Two were for the EVP, or EGR. They were along the lines of low signal or flow. Also had VSS code (shouldn't matter here). And had a code for the throttle body not responding correctly.

Ok, so let me restate my overall question. What could contribute to this reoccurring only every couple weeks or so? On takeoff, it does feel somewhat sluggish and lacking, but that's in general and all the time. The other work I have done to it recently doesn't seem like it would have an effect. Ive completely replaced steering, and power steering components. This includes ball joints, tie rods (ends), P/S pump, P/S gearbox, and an axle pivot drop bracket. The other thing, is that ive pretty much done the same with the cooling. New water pump, new radiator, new thermostat, complete cooling system flush and revival.

Thanks in advance for any help on this perplexity of mine!
Old 05-14-2015, 01:58 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

get a volt meter and check the tps, it's possible its developed a flat spot
Old 05-15-2015, 02:10 AM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

Pull engine vac and test the hose for leaks off the egr. Egr and vss can cause a miss under load or just driving.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm... Along the lines of a vacuum leak, that would actually make sense. Because the tranny also takes way too long to shift. I dont have a tach, but the engine is definately getting into the higher rpms, even from first to second and so on. Maybe ill just go and replace all vacuum lines anyway. It cant hurt, and is likely the cause of some of my issues. EDIT: Plus however, if my VC sticker is correct, I have 2.47 gears in my rear end.

Last edited by SeanMichael; 05-15-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:19 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Burr
get a volt meter and check the tps, it's possible its developed a flat spot
What he said. ^^^^If you don't have a voltmeter, you can buy one for about $15 that will do the job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittent Missing