Topic Sponsor

I'm wanting to get a new (rebuilt engine)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 06:30 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default I'm wanting to get a new (rebuilt engine)

Hi guys,
This is going to be a hard question for me since I'm not too versed in all the engine lingo. I can probably save enough for a new engine by end of year and I want to start on the research. The pictures I've seen for an "engine" looks like well, missing a bunch of stuff.

I want to be prepared by asking the correct questions with your help of course.

When you get a new rebuilt engine, if the picture is just a hunk of steel, I'm assuming I'm not getting everything I need to make it go.

So, probably, I will need either from the old engine or they will say "you need to also purchase these things".

I'm thinking "these things" will be the following to add to the price (not inclusive). spark plugs, wires, distributor, alternator, AC, IAC, PCV, EGR, pulleys, belts, hoses, injectors, the fuel lines to injects....am I getting all this right?

ORRR...can't I just keep looking for a "complete rebuilt" replacement?
Old 01-05-2017, 07:22 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Year?
You can get a short block, long block, complete long block. Accessories will be separate (efi or carb, alternator, water pump power steering exhaust manifolds ect)
Good luck
The following users liked this post:
ericantonio (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 09:00 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Rebuilt engines usually come as a short block or a long block.
Usually a short block is the bottom 1/2 of the engine with the block, crankshaft, rods, pistons, timing chain and camshaft already assembled. You install your own heads, intake, oil pan, rocker covers, etc, etc.
A long block will have the heads, lifters, pushrods, etc. already installed as well as, most of the time, a new oilpan and rocker covers. You still have to install your intake, exhaust manifolds, water pump, probably timing case and stuff like that.
The following users liked this post:
ericantonio (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Rebuilt engines usually come as a short block or a long block.
Usually a short block is the bottom 1/2 of the engine with the block, crankshaft, rods, pistons, timing chain and camshaft already assembled. You install your own heads, intake, oil pan, rocker covers, etc, etc.
A long block will have the heads, lifters, pushrods, etc. already installed as well as, most of the time, a new oilpan and rocker covers. You still have to install your intake, exhaust manifolds, water pump, probably timing case and stuff like that.
That's what I thought! Thank you so much. So I'll just have to negotiate all that with the place I'll take it. This would probably be a good time to get a good aftermarket header while it's off?

Would there be anything on old that they can reuse? It's a 95 so thinking some of things may be hard like EGR, TPS, guess they can reuse my new distributor and IC, but will need new wires and spark plugs. And of course all the vacuum lines. Or just f* it and replace all that?

So close to $500-$1000 extra for all that.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by jtp1984
Year?
You can get a short block, long block, complete long block. Accessories will be separate (efi or carb, alternator, water pump power steering exhaust manifolds ect)
Good luck

Ohhh, a "complete long block" has everything? Didn't even know that would be an option!