Topic Sponsor

High Idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High Idle

Hey guys, I've been working on my truck and I just can't seem to get rid of high idle. I replaced the IAC and TPS today but it still idles around 1400 rpms. Also when I accelerate the rpms don't comeback down immediately ( I have a manual transmission). They seem to hover around 2000 rpms, then drop back down to around 1400. It doesn't make any sense to me because I tested the voltage on the TPS and it indicated that it was bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, I have a 1990 with a 302.

Last edited by tcastlb; 12-09-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could have a vacume leak,timing could be high or if it is like my 1988 5.0 you have to teach it to idle.take battery cable off for at least 20 minuted unplug idle air solenoid start engine set base idle with idle screw cut it off.plug in idle air solenoid start engine with all accessories off for two minutes cut engine off for two minutes and restart with all accessories on for two minutes the cut it off. Your ecc iv should retain the settings .lot of luck
Old 12-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Too Cool for New School

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same problem. I replaced the IAC and TPS. Then I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. When I connected it back together, it fixed the high idle issue.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I have not replied sooner, but between work, school, and working on this truck I have been busy. I figured out my problem. The upper intake manifold gasket had been completely blown off of the left side of the intake. After replacing the gasket everything is working great. Now, if the weather would get warm I'd be perfect. Thanks for the input guys.

Quick Reply: High Idle