Topic Sponsor

Help! Fuel problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Fuel problem?

I recently ran out of gas on my 92 5.0 f150. I proceeded the next day to fill the tank with gas around 7 gallons worth. It started, but began sputtering and barely drove. I managed to get it into my back yard where it was burning white smoke slightly, but would still stay idling. As of today it cranks fine but only stays on for around 5 seconds. My thoughts are the fuel filter, or line is clogged. I attempted to change the filter but couldnt get those dang connectors to come apart. Any suggestions besides that cheap metal X tool from autozone?

I can hear the fuel pump clicking on and "buzzing".

The Schraeder valve is letting fuel out if i turn the key on to prime the system.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:36 PM

Watch those tool for small lines...sometimes they are too thick to fit between the inside and outside lines. I use a small cap plug that I cut the end out of, then slice it down one side to get around the line. Works great. I'd start with the filter first. You may need to check fuel pressure to see if the pump is working correctly.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:34 PM

I had someone come check the fuel pressure , it was reading 0 . Do you think my fuel pump is fried?
Old 09-24-2014, 10:15 PM

Could be, but you said that you hear it running. I'd change the filter first. If it is clogged tight, there will be 0 pressure as well.

Quick Reply: Help! Fuel problem?