Topic Sponsor

Hard time restarting.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard time restarting.

I have a 92 F150 5.0 that has a hard time restarting when warm. For some reason it drains the battery quickly (in a minute or so) leaving me in a pickle. I took it to REMY (a local battery store) they said the battery is fine, the alternator is excellent and he thinks the starter is on it's way out. He claims it is drawing to much juice for some reason. Does anybody have any helpful thoughts? Thanks.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact same problem and it turned out to be a bad coolant temperature sensor. I have a 93 with a 5.0 and it would start right up on cool mornings or anytime if I hadn't been driving it. BUT, if I drove for a while and parked it for a minute, when I went to start it back up, it would turn and turn and turn. After a while, it would start fine. Are you smelling a strong odor of gas in the cab? The sensor was reading that the engine was cold (even though warm) and dumping fuel into the system and flooding out the engine. Hope this helps!

PS: If you don't have small hands or the right tools, you will probably have to remove the intake manifold to get to it. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Hard time restarting.