Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Pre-1997 F150 > Engine Talk > 8 Cylinder Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 10-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb Drivetrain Overhaul Questions

Truck;

1995 F150 302 ext. cab 4X4 w/ 4r70w trans.

Looking into doing a full drivetrain swap, here's what has peaked my interest;

Gearstar 4r70w (stage 2) its expensive but can handle 450hp/460tq and comes with a good warranty and I plan on keeping the truck

Monster Machines 4r70w (stage 2) Cheaper due to non custom make and higher power capabilities but still pricey with a good warranty

Called Jasper, they want WAY too much for the rebuilt thing they're selling with the Jasper name, plus another $1k for shipping of core return and residential nonsense and blah blah its TOO much money for a non reputable place in my eyes.

The real question is; ENGINE?!

I've looked into the ford racing x302 engines with the gt40 heads and 1 piece rear main seal however I cant see myself getting a long block that only produces 300hp and costs $6,000 and having to put a new timing cover on, and bolting an old EFI intake with weak injectors when everyone clearly said to get 24# injectors, which would require a new tune and this slowly turns from $6k to $7+.....

I haven't called around to have anyone quote a rebuild on my current 302 however I imagine parts/labor will be a lot, and if my block can't handle the new parts then I'm out the money.

Does anyone have a 302 swap they did or a rebuild they did that they wouldn't mind sharing? Doesn't need to be detailed I just wanted an idea of what to do.

Budget build but not low budget, if its worth it I don't mind paying the money but I just don't see the point in spending $10k on a drivetrain setup that only makes around 250hp to the wheel, I'm not racing or anything but I want a reliable powerful setup.
jakelind454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:19 AM   #2
EFI Dyno Tuning.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

whats wrong with the engine currently in it?

most bang for the buck would be a stock rebuild with a set of aftermarket heads, would be good for approx 310rwhp, if you want more than that you'll need boost

a stock rebuild can be done for 900 add another 1200 for the heads

24 lb injectors are about useless, just step up to some 80s ~$380, and drop yourself a high flow slot maf in it ~$300

tunes usually run about $450 at most places

figure about ~$3500 all said and done

this link has a ton of good info about sbf's

http://info.efidynotuning.com/pre.htm
decipha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:19 AM

Tags
302, 4r70w, ford, swap