Topic Sponsor

Check engine lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Check engine lights?

Greetings everybody. My '95 F150 5.8L 4x4 check engine light comes on when the fuel gauge indicates about 3/8 empty. It stays on when driving down a 5-10% grade and goes off and on when driving up. I can feel the engine bog down when driving up the grade. When I top it off with 10+ gals. the chk eng light stays off and the engine runs fine, no issues.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:19 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ShortRanger
Greetings everybody. My '95 F150 5.8L 4x4 check engine light comes on when the fuel gauge indicates about 3/8 empty. It stays on when driving down a 5-10% grade and goes off and on when driving up. I can feel the engine bog down when driving up the grade. When I top it off with 10+ gals. the chk eng light stays off and the engine runs fine, no issues.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Pull codes
Old 12-01-2013, 10:28 PM

I got codes 117 and 218 with KOEO and
codes 172 and 632 with KOER.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:47 PM

I got codes 117 and 218 with KOEO and
codes 172 and 632 with KOER.
http://www.troublecodes.net/ford/
Old 12-02-2013, 10:40 AM

For starters, it looks like I have a faulty ECT sensor and a faulty HO2S sensor. Seems consistent as to why the dashboard temp gauge needle climbs to H after driving about 10 miles. That's when the CEL comes on and stays on.
I've had the IAC and TPS replaced which corrected an earlier problem with high/erratic idling. Runs ok but lacks power when the CEL is on.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:33 AM

For starters, it looks like I have a faulty ECT sensor and a faulty HO2S sensor. Seems consistent as to why the dashboard temp gauge needle climbs to H after driving about 10 miles. That's when the CEL comes on and stays on.
I've had the IAC and TPS replaced which corrected an earlier problem with high/erratic idling. Runs ok but lacks power when the CEL is on.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Also looked like an O2 sensor problem. Don't know if its something you can test but you can try looking it up or just replacing it. I don't have any experience with the ECT or IDM codes. The transmission one you can probably disregard, sounds like you just forgot one of the tests during the diagnostic.
The following users liked this post:
ShortRanger (12-18-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Forge-World-FORD
Also looked like an O2 sensor problem. Don't know if its something you can test but you can try looking it up or just replacing it. I don't have any experience with the ECT or IDM codes. The transmission one you can probably disregard, sounds like you just forgot one of the tests during the diagnostic.
First, I cleared all codes in memory. Then I drove about 20 miles at which time the CEL came on and stayed on. Then, back at home, I pulled codes 172 & 181 (KOEO). Removed the O2 sensor, tested it. Found to be faulty. Replaced it with a new OEM. Drove about 30 miles. No CEL. No issues. Runs perfect.
Thanks for the heads up. It was the O2 sensor. When I removed it, I got to examine it more closely and it looked like the top half of it took a hit that bent it slightly off its axis.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:27 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Forge-World-FORD
Update:
Drove my '95 F150 4x4 EFI 5.8L E4OD 25 miles to the beach on an easy 45-50mph down hill cruise from elev 2500'. Then drove back home about 15-16 miles on a slightly steeper incline at 45-55mph. No CEL came on.
Then did a KOEO and a KOER. Got only code 111 (system passed) on both tests.
Thanks again for your help.

Quick Reply: Check engine lights?