Topic Sponsor

burnin oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy burnin oil

I sent my f150 to have its engine rebuilt bout a month ago and have been haveing problems ever since it had a high ideling problem i replaced alot of sensors trying to fix it wound up being the trottle body. I changed it now idels fine. Now i just need figure out whyits burning oil. I checked my spark plugs and they have oil on them and my dip stick has a grainy texture on it
Old 12-31-2013, 01:16 AM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by hoss_42
I sent my f150 to have its engine rebuilt bout a month ago and have been haveing problems ever since it had a high ideling problem i replaced alot of sensors trying to fix it wound up being the trottle body. I changed it now idels fine. Now i just need figure out whyits burning oil. I checked my spark plugs and they have oil on them and my dip stick has a grainy texture on it
Did the people who rebuilt it or you go through the break in period after the rebuild?
Old 12-31-2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Forge-World-FORD
Did the people who rebuilt it or you go through the break in period after the rebuild?
Far as i know no he put it in and i picked it upsame dayhe was done. I have put 286 on it since i got it back
Old 12-31-2013, 03:38 PM

Far as i know no he put it in and i picked it upsame dayhe was done. I have put 286 on it since i got it back
How extensive a rebuild? Full, ground up? After a full rebuild its pretty much a brand new engine and needs to be broken in. If its done improperly you can screw up a lot of stuff. Perfect example, I was watching Fast N' Loud a few weeks ago and they tried to take a short cut and use regular oil with a break-in additive. Ended up having to rebuild it again and then used the proper break-in oil, expensive stuff.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:39 PM

Can you get some pics on here of what you mean with the dipstick (if you can see the grainy stuff) and plugs? Oil on the plugs doesn't sound good.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:15 PM

It was a full rebuild. I asked the guy who rebuilt it an he said it could be the intake gasket or head gaskets. There is no water in the oil or oil in the water so could he be telling me the truth or just trying get me off his back? Ill try n get some pics but u can see lil metal specks on the dipstick..
Old 12-31-2013, 05:38 PM

It was a full rebuild. I asked the guy who rebuilt it an he said it could be the intake gasket or head gaskets. There is no water in the oil or oil in the water so could he be telling me the truth or just trying get me off his back? Ill try n get some pics but u can see lil metal specks on the dipstick..
Is there any kind of warranty for the work? Sounds like it wasn't broken in. You could always drain the oil and check it, sounds crappy but it'll show for sure if coolant had mixed with it at all and it will give a better idea on shavings. Some fine metal particulates are normal after a rebuild, some.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:50 PM

Ok ill change the oil and look at it should i cut the filter open and look in it to? What kind if oil should i put back in it? could the intake gasket cause oil on the spark plugs and hopefully b my only problem if there isnt much metal shavings in the oil? And could the original problem with its high idel at 2500 3000 rpm have caused a bigger issue?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:03 PM

Ok ill change the oil and look at it should i cut the filter open and look in it to? What kind if oil should i put back in it? could the intake gasket cause oil on the spark plugs and hopefully b my only problem if there isnt much metal shavings in the oil? And could the original problem with its high idel at 2500 3000 rpm have caused a bigger issue?
No, you should be able to tell just by looking in the filter or dumping it out. As far as I know oil on the plugs usually points to piston rings or valve issues. The high idle was after the rebuild?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:16 PM

Ok. Yes the high idle was after the rebuild he said he couldnt figure it out so i changed every sensor i could think of that would effect it and wound up being the throtle body. That really sucks if its going to be piston rings or valve issues

Quick Reply: burnin oil