Topic Sponsor

Bolt On Upgrades To My '93 302

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt On Upgrades To My '93 302

Hello all,

Sorry if I am bringing up a topic that has already been discussed but I have had no luck with the search feature. I am just trying to beef up my F150's HP a little with some bolt on's and I really want to avoid removing the block. I am looking to get a better cam, some aluminum heads, headers, exhaust, and ignition(Cap/Rotor/Wires/Coil/advance timing). All of the aluminum heads that I am looking at are 2.02" Int valves and from what I have read on other posts this will most likely cause PTV clearance problems. I have read that Trick Flow heads are the only heads that will clear but on the TFS website they specifically state that you have to have Trick Flow pistons to have valve clearance. Has anyone run into this before, if I want aluminum heads is my only option to pull the pistons and have larger reliefs cut? Please help, any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:21 AM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

I'll give a bit of info that might help..........

Regarding the camshaft, you have a few options. Since your 93 is speed density, your camshaft options are a bit limited in a sense. Good thing is 93s have a roller cam.

A few camshaft options:
Crane 364211
Comp Cams 35-512-8
Comp Cams 35-349-8
Stock 5.0 HO Cam (In my opinion, advanced 4 degrees)

The main thing with the camshaft is that you have to make a determination on whether you are looking for low end torque (which in my opinion is major for a truck) or a bit more mid range/top end.

Regarding the heads, Trick Flow will clear due to the angles of the valves.

Question: Are you not considering any of the 1.90/1.94 intake valved heads or have you come across only 2.02 yet?
Old 03-23-2013, 02:24 PM

Hey qdeezie,

Thanks for the info! I did not know my 1993 had a roller cam, that's great news. I have seen some 1.90" aluminum heads, Edelbrock and AFR, but they are $1400 or more for the pair. I found a pair of Pro Comp for less than $700 but they have the 2.02" valves. I am looking for Low-End torque. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:33 PM

In my opinion, there are pretty much 3 aluminum head options. AFR, Trick Flow or Brodix.

I wanted Edelbrock heads when I was initially doing my build, but they have 181cc intake runners, which takes away on low end torque, which 302 owners such as ourselves are already are at a disadvantage (in a sense when comparing to larger engines). Note: They are advertised as 170cc, but frequently come out as 181 when measured.

Procomps........I have no first hand experience with them, but I always hear people saying that the quality is not there and for the ones that quality is not an issue, that they don't put out the HP. This is all hearsay, but considering the sources I've heard this from, I think it's fairly accurate.

I would say to just save up for the heads.

As far as the camshaft choices, Crane 364211 and Comp Cams 35-512-8 are more so for low end. I was initially going to get the Crane camshaft, but the Comp Cams 35-512-8 was a better value (to me) and it was built for lower end. You can change the firing order to the 1-3 order without having to change the injectors or you can get Comp Cams to custom grind a cam for you with your native 1-5 firing order if you want to retain that firing order.

Regarding Headers........the main thing to look out for if using shorty headers is to ensure the ball flange fits the stock Y pipe.

Regarding Exhaust........the stock setup is very restrictive. Even if you keep a single exhaust and upgrade to the Magnaflow replacement Y pipe, it's a significant improvement.

Ignition - The main thing I'm personally a stickler on is the rotor. Motorcraft DR374B is better than any other rotor I've seen. As far as spark plugs go, Motorcraft or Autolite. Everything else is not as significant in my opinion, just use a good brand.

Last edited by qdeezie; 03-23-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:28 PM

This is all great information. Thank you so much for your input qdeezie. I definitely like the specs on the 35-512-8 cam. The headers that I am looking at are JBA Shorty Cat4ward Headers. Any thoughts on the JBA headers? Have you heard anything on the Pro Action™ SBF 20° (160cc Intake Runner/58cc Chamber) by Racing Head Service (RHS)? These heads use the 1.940" valves, which from what I have been reading should work with stock pistons. Thanks again.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 AM

JBA headers are one of the best by far. Another solid option is Ford Racing headers. You can't go wrong with either in my opinion. JBA would be better for low end torque due to the 1 1/2 inch primaries vs the 1 5/8 primaries that the Ford Racing headers have.

You know, I was looking at the same exact heads at one point. I think they are great for the truck application. The only reason I didn't jump for those was because they don't have the EGR provision between the two center intake ports.

I keep my EGR/smog stuff hooked up for the sake of not having any default codes appear when I scan the truck due to stuff being deleted. If you don't care about any of that, I think they are probably the perfect head for a truck application. You might need taller valve covers since they are stud mount depending on the type of rocker arm you end up using.

The bare castings are cheap as well, so you could theoretically buy the castings and build them exactly to your personal specs over time.
The following users liked this post:
cmtotten (03-26-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

the Trick Flow Track Heat 170/58cc head with the 2.02 valves will work.. thats what i have on my engine.. with a 35-349-8 cam.. and i have plenty of PTV clearance.. on a set of Flat Tops With Valve Reliefs.. but the Valves had so much clearance when i clayed it i didnt even Mic the clay to see.. it was easy clear.. and this is with 1.72 roller Rockers..

had to port the intake a ton to match the port of the head though..
The following users liked this post:
cmtotten (03-26-2013)

Quick Reply: Bolt On Upgrades To My '93 302