Topic Sponsor

AOD Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello guys,
I'm pretty sure the bands in my transmission are going out. When shifting from park to any gear, there is a delay before it engages. I can feel when my truck is about to shift when I driving, so I ease up on the gas and it shifts smoother. The tranny has roughly 188K miles on it, and the TPS is good.

I already put a new engine in from Jaspers, so I'm willing to drop in a new tranny from them. Truck is 2WD by the way. What transmissions are a direct swap from stock? I have searched the forums and found nothing similar. I did see something on a 95' transmission? I'm not sure what the weak points are of my AOD, and I would like a stronger tranny that will swap right out, and I know that's asking for a lot.

Price is not an issue, although I would like to keep it under 2.5K Thank you, I love this forum!
Old 03-03-2015, 08:16 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

What year is your truck ?
Old 03-03-2015, 12:31 PM

I've got a 1990. I don't know if it's worth rebuilding and having him "upgrade" anything while he's in there. I know nothin about trannys
Old 03-04-2015, 08:12 AM

Unless it's been rebuilt before, the first one lasted 25 years. Some high end bands and clutches are a thought, maybe a mild shift kit.
Fixing yours or one the same as it would save a lot of retrofitting.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:17 AM

Hmm. In your experiences, what is a reasonable transmission rebuild price? I can get a brand new remanufactured tranny from Jaspers Engines for $2,160 - a $460 core charge.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:17 AM

You'd have to phone around a bit. The last time I talked to a tranny shopthey were talking about 1700. It can get variable if drums are scorched or gears are chewed up. They can't really predict that very well, so ask for a worst case scenario price. Their price is going to be a re installed price of course so keep that in mind.
I know 1 nearby shop quoted 1000 if I drop it off and pick it up - that wouldn't include the convertor though.
1 thing about a big chain is that though they're more expensive, they are more likely to have a shop somewhere near where you're having trouble on your road trip, which is usually when bigger problems show up.
Definitely worth phoning around though - you could save a lot. Shop a bit too online, quite often people will have their tranny rebuilt and have some other major issue show up and they part out the truck. A tranny like that can be had for a few hundred - but no warranty, so a bit of a gamble, but you could win big time.
Stay close to your year (computer) and it has to be a 2WD trans.
Not sure on your truck if you would still have band adjustments, but that's worth looking in to as well.
Might be worth swinging by a major shop and just talking to them about your plans - if you find an honest shop owner, he may be able to give you some valuable input. That won't cost anything.

Quick Reply: AOD Upgrade