Topic Sponsor

96' EGR valve

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96' EGR valve

Ok, My 96' Eddie Bauer 5.0 had a jumpy idle. Not real bad but enough to drive me up the wall. Then On top of that, It was difficult starting when hot. Right away, went to check out the EGR. Applied vacuum to it and the needle on the gauge wouldnt even come up so I figured I had a bad diaphragm in the EGR. Got new EGR and just as I was getting ready to put the 1 1/16" wrench on the tube to crack it loose, I looked down the EGR tube and saw it was rotted through. "Ok", I said. Called Advanced Auto. Nothing. Autozone. Nothing. Napa. Nothing. It was a dealer only item. Ok, went to Ford dealer and told year, make and model and engine size. They brought up a schematic of the tube but looked NOTHING like mine. This one went to the exhaust manifold and mine went to the lower intake manifold. These guys messed around for a hour and had one of their mechanics even come in to help. In the end, it was the right part but Ford put the 5.8L engine in place of the 5.0L I was happy UNTIL they told me how much. $159.00 plus tax!!! Just for a friggin piece of metal tube???? It turns out, the 96' F150 5.0 was the only year like that because it was the first year of OBD2 system in the F150's. Atleast thats what they tell me.

So if anyone with a 96' F150 5.0 needs a EGR valve tube, Prepare to get bent over the counter while they tell you the price. Also, if they show you the image and it shows the pipe going to the exhaust manifold, ignore. It does go to the lower intake which means ya gotta remove the upper intake
Old 01-13-2013, 10:32 AM

I noticed mine was rotted off right after I bought the truck, no big deal I welded the hole in the exhaust nd left it at that the rough idle doesn't happen very often for me
Old 01-14-2013, 06:27 AM

Glad yours went good. Wish mine went to the exhaust manifold. Then again, mine has the OBD2 system and would have probably thrown a CEL if I eliminated the EGR.

Quick Reply: 96' EGR valve