Topic Sponsor

95 f150 302 engine and Trans swap questions and recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 08:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 95 f150 302 engine and Trans swap questions and recommendations

Some time this spring/summer when I go back up north I'm wanting to swap the engine and transmission from my parts truck which is a 94 f150 5.0 e4od 4x4 into my 95 f150 5.0 e4od 2wd. I imagine it'll be a fairly straight forward swap, and since the 95s frame has all the same holes in all the same places as my parts truck, the transmission, transfer case and skid plate will fit no problem. I've read in several places that in 94 when they went to MAF they also went with the 351/302HO firing order, but I've also read that didn't happen until 95 and I didn't think of checking before I pulled the plug wires off of the 94s engine.. would I run into any ECU issues if it happens to be the normal 302 firing order? I'm also thinking of removing the smog pump since I don't have to worry about emissions where I live. I already know spark plugs fit in the back of the heads but would I run into any ECU issues with that gone? I've also got a list of parts to order before I go up north, and I'm wondering what else I should replace while everything is out

Valve cover gaskets
Plugs, wires, cap&rotor, coil
Intake gaskets
Exhaust manifolds/gaskets
Oil pan gasket
Rear main seal
Water pump/gasket
Trans gasket/filter
Pcv valve

Any and all help is appreciated!
Old 02-08-2017, 10:12 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Timing case cover gasket. Thermostat.

302 switched to H/O in 94

I wouldn't bother removing the air pump system (thermactor) emissions or not. It doesn't rob any power to speak of.

To put a 4x4 transfer case in, you need the transmission mount crossmember from the donor truck. Also the driveshaft.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The water pump bolts are known for snapping off, so I would pick up the stud and bolt kit for the water pump. Might as well swap out the timing chain while your in there, hoses, motor mounts (their cheap enough). I would also pull off the throttlebody and give that a thorough cleaning (you will be amazed at how much build up is in there).

I pulled off all the smog stuff when I did my engine swap. Zero issues and it really cleaned up the passenger side of the engine bay. I used a ford delete pulley in place of the smog pump.