Topic Sponsor

94 302 build questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 302 build questions

Alright guys I've been wanting to build a 302 for quite some time and finally today I picked up a running 94 302 from an f150 for 50$. Can't beat it right? So my plans are to rebuild the bottom end but leave it stock. Stay fuel injected bigger injectors. Headers. Rockers push rods lifters. Get a set of gt40 heads and run a good cam.

Now my questions are about the intakes. Ive heard the truck 302 lower intake is pretty good as compared to the mustang or the explorer. So should I keep it or look for an aftermarket one? Second the upper intake has the dual throttle body and I've heard that with the dual throttle body the throttle body is about 105mm. So my question is. Can I run a aftermarket upper intake using the truck throttle body and all the vacuum lines and that stuff still work?

Truck aftermarket parts are next to none so really my BIG question is can I use mustang aftermarket parts to build the motor and then put it in the truck using the truck harness and vacuum lines and sensors. Or will I have to get a harness from a mustang and run everything as if it were a mustang. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-23-2016, 12:39 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

The 5.0's in the 94-97 F150's are basically mustang engines with truck cams.

The thing you will need to worry about most will be the electronics - are you putting it into a truck that is already setup for mass air flow? If that's the case then you are already ahead of the game when it comes to upgrades and really don't have any limitations to your choices because the computer will learn and adjust. If it is a speed density truck then you will be very limited in your cam choices, which will also limit everything else essentially. FWIW, a lot of guys do mass air flow conversions on their trucks using a mustang computer - for those of us with a manual transmission it is the only way to do it - so it is possible.

As far as actually building up the 302, I'll let someone else whose pulled one of these engines apart chime in as to what they would recommend.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
The 5.0's in the 94-97 F150's are basically mustang engines with truck cams.

The thing you will need to worry about most will be the electronics - are you putting it into a truck that is already setup for mass air flow? If that's the case then you are already ahead of the game when it comes to upgrades and really don't have any limitations to your choices because the computer will learn and adjust. If it is a speed density truck then you will be very limited in your cam choices, which will also limit everything else essentially. FWIW, a lot of guys do mass air flow conversions on their trucks using a mustang computer - for those of us with a manual transmission it is the only way to do it - so it is possible.

As far as actually building up the 302, I'll let someone else whose pulled one of these engines apart chime in as to what they would recommend.
It will be going into a truck with mass air flow already so sounds like I'm good there. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-23-2016, 04:45 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

The truck lower intake is the best one. Edelbrock makes an upper intake for it that is supposed to be better than stock. But port matching the intakes and heads would make a very big difference even if you stayed stock.

Quick Reply: 94 302 build questions